Ohiki Chicken Thread

Pics
I kept a pair of the white yokos just for this project and have more eggs in the incubator to select hens from. It's good to know the yellow legs are dominate. My intent was more to add the Ohiki feathering to the yokos than the other way around. I'd like to reduce the size of my yokos and improve the feathering. I know I will need to select through the combs too, but I'd like to keep the pea combs and yellow legs. I also love white earlobes on my birds so when I saw the roo I thought he'd be a perfect fit. My Ohiki are doing well and I'm trying to work with a choc and silver pair I have. Hope to get some eggs hatching soon as she finally starting laying. Thanks for the input.

If you are breeding back to yoko all the f1 chicks will be pea/cushion comb birds. It is possible to get a rose comb also because yoko's have cushion combs and cushion comb id made from pea and rose. Adding feathering will look great on them. Non of the f1's will be ohiki shape so that's good. It will be interesting to see how your birds look. I've never done that cross before. Now your trying for recessive whites?..

Rose combs would be awesome! And yes I'm trying for recessive white so I've been keeping the chicks with the red/ brown dot on the head. Is there a better way to select for the white so it will breed true?

Hi guys
big_smile.png

I hope you do not mind me posting here since my birds are not pure Ohiki. I just wanted to say how much I LOVE these little Fly Tie Ohiki crosses that I hatched from Onagadori last year
love.gif

I have a trio and they are just the sweetest things ever. My one barred hen does not even think she is a chicken and would rather hang with the humans lol.

Here are my cutie pies

Beautiful chickens! The color on your rooster is just gorgeous. I'm finding that with my birds, the pures are more mellow, but that they all are sweet. Most of our crosses seem to have a higher energy level. I have a twin sister to your little hen at the bottom of this pic, exact same color and shape. We call her, Lois, and she is the funniest little thing - look out when its treat time! She is a determined little hen :)

Beautiful chickens! The color on your rooster is just gorgeous. I'm finding that with my birds, the pures are more mellow, but that they all are sweet. Most of our crosses seem to have a higher energy level. I have a twin sister to your little hen at the bottom of this pic, exact same color and shape. We call her, Lois, and she is the funniest little thing - look out when its treat time! She is a determined little hen :)

Thanks everyone for all your kind comments
big_smile.png

That little roo is a character and his girls really love him. I always thought he was a looker too but not really sure what to compare him to. His barring is just incredible and if you stare at it to long it will actually hurt your eyes, lol.

I just separated them so I could hatch a few of their eggs- I'm dying to see what the combination will produce.

Thanks!

Trish

I've never crossed anything into my Ohiki except the first year that I imported them in 2002..I think you are going to find most people that have them have not either. But if they have it may take a while to get the type back. I still do not worry about leg color. Only type and feathering. Then lastly if I have several alike I'll keep the white lobes and green legs. How are things coming along with your birds?...TM
same here, only crossing I have been doing is with the not so perfect ones with slim tails. I have been breeding them into the bantam phoenix to improve the tails on the phoenix, but that's with intent of going away from the ohiki type. I am adding in chocolate bantam orps to a few in a project this year if those couple girls will ever lay, but that will be my first offical outcross for ohiki type, and dont plan on anything perfect for several years to come of course.

Back
Top Bottom