Ohiki Chicken Thread

I was just asked so don't shoot me lol. because they will argue anything i say on the subject.

"were Phoenix added into the ohiki in the US to get more color?"

Phoenix were added to Ohiki to make Phoenix Bantams.

Not sure where that info was seen, but 100% not true.
Phoenix have never been used in American ohiki by proper breeders at least. Some cons mixed everything they could but they are gone now.

The two are too far apart type wise for it to work in any kind of benifical way. The UK did it and thats why they have hard tailed, narrow bodied, long leg birds.

Bantam phoenix have been here for decades. Ohiki were only imported in 2002 by my buddy.

She is the one who made all the new colors. Cochin, english orps, and wyandotts were what was used.

Bantam phoenix were made over 100 years ago off dutch, old english, and various game type birds that were similar is size and shape.
Since the tail genes are dominate it was an easy cross with similar body types breeds.

But no, in the US the ohiki and phoenix have not been used in any kind of orgainsed breeding.

Last edited:
Not sure where that info was seen, but 100% not true.
Phoenix have never been used in American ohiki by proper breeders at least. Some cons mixed everything they could but they are gone now.

The two are too far apart type wise for it to work in any kind of benifical way. The UK did it and thats why they have hard tailed, narrow bodied, long leg birds.

Bantam phoenix have been here for decades. Ohiki were only imported in 2002 by my buddy.

She is the one who made all the new colors. Cochin, english orps, and wyandotts were what was used.

Bantam phoenix were made over 100 years ago off dutch, old english, and various game type birds that were similar is size and shape.
Since the tail genes are dominate it was an easy cross with similar body types breeds.

But no, in the US the ohiki and phoenix have not been used in any kind of orgainsed breeding.
Good to know - thank you for sharing it! I definitely was glad to have found you for the bantam phoenixes (and the 1 surviving chick from the eggs I got from you is doing great!), I'm double glad to know that you also handle this breed as I am hoping to get some in the future. :)

Samurai & Geisha Girl
These are from my selective breeding the best of my best and are third generation. As far as willow green legs and blue legs they had feathering of a different color. The white had yellow orange legs. They are very sweet natured and the coloring is exactly what I wanted.

Last edited:
Good to know - thank you for sharing it! I definitely was glad to have found you for the bantam phoenixes (and the 1 surviving chick from the eggs I got from you is doing great!), I'm double glad to know that you also handle this breed as I am hoping to get some in the future. :)

any time, It's pretty well known that I'm the go to guy in the US for ohiki.

Back
Top Bottom