Ohiki Chicken Thread

Pics
Are the ohiki / fly tie birds suppose to have yellow legs or green? I saw an auction on eBay and the bird has yellow. I don't know about the fly tie birds, but just thought I'd ask since I am culling for green on ohiki birds .

Ohiki should have green legs.. I don't believe there is a standard for leg color on fly ties.. They are selected for feather only the way I understand it.. But Toni would know more..

I believe the Japanese Standard just calls for dark legs but I do agree with Amanda that we would ultimately breed for green legs. I still have some BB Reds with very nice type that have yellow legs but I am getting more and more with green and can use them more for breeders.

it's green on the colored birds and yellow only on whites , just like the onagadori. Would be very warry of any on ebay any how.

I sell on ebay so I suppose there are some good ones on there.. Pokey's pictured birds are out of my stock.. ...... My gold duckwing has turned out to be a nonmolter.. I can't wait to see how long his tail gets. Turns out my birchen rooster (actually E ) is a white carrier as I am getting whites from him. Too exciting.. My husband has become smitten with ohiki.. LOL>

Thought I would share a few pics of the crele ohiki project young cockerels..

I ended up with extras of these which I will offer for sale when I have made my final cull.. They are still young, but looking pretty good.. No feather legs, no stubble, and nice pretty tails and short legs on most.. Had one with longer legs, but was half phoenix.. Have some great ohiki/bantam phoenix birds too..

I didn't know, so that's why I thought I would ask. I like the blue fly ties, but don't really know a lot about those other than the birds are used for their feathers. I didnt get any feather legged or yellow legs. I think the barring on the fly ties reminds me of spiders!!

I didn't know, so that's why I thought I would ask. I like the blue fly ties, but don't really know a lot about those other than the birds are used for their feathers. I didnt get any feather legged or yellow legs. I think the barring on the fly ties reminds me of spiders!!

There is no standard on flyties as far as leg color, comb type, earlobe color, body type, etc.. They are raised commercially for making flies (fly fishing lures). They generally select for thin feathering, the finest resembling hair.. They cull for things like webbing in the feathers, length of feather, fullness of hackles and saddles, etc.. Any breed can be used and selected toward the desired traits.. Or a mix of more than one breed.. It is all about feather quality for tying the flies.. hope this helps..

Oh yeah, some colors are more desirable than others also..

Last edited:
It's imposable to get a green leg Barred bird. Barred birds can only have yellow or white. So If you have a barred bird it's going to have white or yellow. But my pure fly tie birds have yellow and white...Like Manderz said there raised for feathers not legs color or a standard..The genes for barred birds are funny that way....Good luck...Looks like your barred birds are doing good Manderz...Our Ohiki will have to have yellow if that's what we all want. What do you think??Have a blessed day....TM

It's imposable to get a green leg Barred bird. Barred birds can only have yellow or white. So If you have a barred bird it's going to have white or yellow. But my pure fly tie birds have yellow and white...Like Manderz said there raised for feathers not legs color or a standard..The genes for barred birds are funny that way....Good luck...Looks like your barred birds are doing good Manderz...Our Ohiki will have to have yellow if that's what we all want. What do you think??Have a blessed day....TM

Well said! And thank you for sharing.. Yes, my birds have yellow mostly on the barred, but I do get some with the pearl legs too.. Thanks for the compliment on the barred birds.. I am really pleased with them and have really enjoyed working with the ohiki. I am really excited about getting some whites started too.. Have a blessed day too!
smile.png
Manderz

Back
Top Bottom