Ohio anti not big ag chicken

richseohio

Hatching
Dec 9, 2016
I wish to raise it to the attention of BYC readers that the wonderful legislators of Ohio are adding as an amendment to bill 235 (Dec 2016) (expected to pass) to specifically add chickens to the regulated farm animals list as poultry. Essentially it looks to me to be the goal to target backyard chicken owners, since chickens have not been specifically listed to date, by adding chickens to the Ohio ORC 951 list of animals that require confinement with no escape allowable. It looks to me to target backyard chicken owners in the "country," ie unzoned townships, as a statewide law. Violations of 951 are defacio, ie undefendable, if an animal is loose at all (definition "running at large") to the vision of a law enforcement officer. Violation is punishable as a misdemeanor 4rth degree jail/ fine.

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif

The members in your state may be interested in hearing about this. You can find them here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/12049/ohio-come-on-buckeyes-let-me-know-your-out-there

Thanks for joining us!

G’Day from down under richseohio
frow.gif
Welcome!

As N F C has suggested, your state members would probably be interested in the amendment. Thank you for sharing it.

I hope you enjoy BYC. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends
wink.png

Hello there, and welcome to the wonderful world of Backyard Chickens! I hope you will make yourself at home here and enjoy it as much as I have! :frow

Back
Top Bottom