Ohio bans exibitions, shows, and swaps

We are Ohio 4-Hers. I posted under the Michigan ban as well. Its a disappointment but I support it. Its for everyone's protection. I'm just wondering how long it will last. We have to order new chicks in july or aug for next year if there will be poultry projects in 2016.

I'm a Michigander and was really looking forward to the Ohio National. I understand and support the ban, but it sure is disappointing to not be able to have that historic show. Hopefully the number of cases drops off considerably, so it won't be such a concern come fall. Does anyone know if the Ohio National has ever been cancelled before due to concerns of disease?

Just an update. Our county is either the first or nearly the first county fair in Ohio each year. We have already had the skillathon which is required of all livestock projects to judge the exhibitor's knowledge of their animal and how to care for it. The judge also looks at the project book and record keeping.

Tomorrow, when all other livestock is weighed and moved into the fair barns, poultry exhibitors will privide pictures of themselves and their birds for display purposes.

Instead of showing their birds, there will be special activities. They have done, IMO, an excellent job of planning fun, educational experiences for the kids affected by the ban. They will learn to judge egg quality. They will be tested on knowledge of breeds and cuts of meat. The county has even planned a special showmanship event. The kids will "show" stuffed animals.

We do not have any market birds, but for those who do, there will be donations made by the sale buyers and the money divided among the kids. The kids will still have to figure out what to do with the birds. A friend of ours who has 4 market chickens is planning a bbq for hers.

I applaud the Ohio extension office and Pickaway county extension office as well as the fair board for quickly finding ways to take the sting out of the situation. The kids work hard preparing for fair. Instead of this fair being a huge disappointment, it will be fun, educational and memorable. For that, I am grateful!

Back
Top Bottom