Ohio National...

Quote:
How do you no how to get ahold of the breeders that are going to the show? Is there a list or something?
thanks.

I'm really nervouse about buying birds from other people because of past experiences.I bought a pair from someone and had kept them away from my flock for 3 weeks and then put them in but the hen ended up dying a week later for unknown causes and then the following week I lost another of mine from unknown causes.I couldn't figure out what happened other then the fact they were week for a few days and then fell dead.I don't want to risk that again.I guess you run the chance no matter what you do.I'm very careful with our birds and wouldn't do that to people, why would anyone else? It's heartbreaking!
barnie.gif

I'm from Ohio, I was raised in Westerville, about 15 miles from the fairground. I usually make the drive about once a year but have never been to the show.. I have already reserved a room at my sister's house
big_smile.png
Its about 12 hrs from southeast Arkansas. I hope to pick up a few birds, but as of yet haven't been able to get in touch with any breeders that I know are going to be there. But since I'll be visiting with family, it won't be a loss if I don't find what I want, and I'm sure I'll still learn alot.

we will try to be there, but the call duck national is in Iowa the following weekend so not sure if we can get someone to "pet sit" two weekends in a row. Might have to send DH and son alone.
Ohio always puts on a great show.

If you want to buy chickens at Ohio you can take a chance that something you want will be there or search for breeders to talk with before the show so they can bring birds.

There are many ways to find good stock. Breeders can be found online, through breed clubs and area clubs, magazines and in the poultry press. But the best way by far to get birds is to enter chickens in the show, get a show catalog, be nice/talk to people and pour over the show catalog (which can be yours for the price of entering chickens at the show). The catalog has names and addresses of everyone who is showing. Just connect the bird you like to the exhibitor's number and bingo instant contact info. However it is so much better to talk to people and network! Besides it is fun.

Quote:
How do you no how to get ahold of the breeders that are going to the show? Is there a list or something?
thanks.

There is a list of breeders on the Ohio National website. They also list the winners from last year on the website.

Other than that, I am contacting through the clubs to see who is going.

Ms. Lewis Rich :

Last year I stayed where they recommended and it was 6 miles away. This year I booked at Days Inn Columbus Fairgrounds, you can walk there from your room.
And I have a feeling my ride is going to keep the motor running and throw me and the chickens out on Fri. and just come back on Sunday to get us home LOL
It is even cheaper.

has anyone stayed at this hotel before??? We go to so many shows and the hotel prices are really eating up the chicken money.......might have to get the $89 a night room anyways.​

Mrs. Turbo :

Ms. Lewis Rich :

Last year I stayed where they recommended and it was 6 miles away. This year I booked at Days Inn Columbus Fairgrounds, you can walk there from your room.
And I have a feeling my ride is going to keep the motor running and throw me and the chickens out on Fri. and just come back on Sunday to get us home LOL
It is even cheaper.

has anyone stayed at this hotel before??? We go to so many shows and the hotel prices are really eating up the chicken money.......might have to get the $89 a night room anyways.​

You can see this hotel from the parking lot of the show. It looks like a typical Days Inn that's been around for a while. By the looks of it there were a lot of chicken people parked there. It's not a great neighborhood, but it doesn't look too dicey. There is a Fast Food burger joint within walking distance, but that's about it.

The Hilton Garden Inn was nice, but as you said $$$ + the drive. There are a lot of people at the Hilton that go the the National, you could probably catch a ride at breakfast to the show. We go back and forth a couple times a day.​

Ok, DH just told me that some people were having trouble with their cars being broke into at night....don't think there is anything wrong with the hotel. Might call and see how much it is....if someone breaks into my van all they will find is some stale french fries and old cheese burgers under the car seats!!!! lol

Nothing wrong with driving to the show, just looking for a cheaper place to stay that is clean...you know.....we go to the show in the morning and leave in the evening and back again at the crack of dawn so just need a clean bed and clean shower....can we stay with you Mrs. Lewis Rich???
big_smile.png
We will only bring 10 of the kids with us.....lol

Back
Top Bottom