Oil Gland Update (PICS!!)

daidyducks

Chirping
8 Years
Feb 24, 2011
Ontario,CA
On my last topic I was concerned about my pekin duck's oil gland since it was torn by some cats. I couldnt see her gland because it looked like it was in pieces everywhere around her feathers... I finally got a look at "something" but I dont know if its her oil gland or just feathers. Does anyone know what this could be? I touched the "yellow" stuff and it was a tiny bit oily but it doesnt look like the oil gland when I had seen it before the accident...
any help would be appreciated!
Reason why Im super concerned is because we got a new drake and he's snow white compared to her. her feathers on her wings are not clean nor fluffy anymore, theyre just stuck to her. I want her to get clean and be white as she used to be!
The drake even got some of his oil and cleaned HER! So sad...
I got some advice on my other post to place a warm wet cloth over it but if anyone knows of any other suggestions theyd be appreciated
thanks

2ipgp.jpg

2j2e0bl.png

1535jev.jpg

Quote:
She does have a buddy. the drake who lets her have some of his oil
hmm.png

does it help in any way?

I didnt know ducks could share oil
lol.png

It might. Dont know. What breed is the drake?

Quote:
She does have a buddy. the drake who lets her have some of his oil
hmm.png

does it help in any way?

lol.png

exactly what I thought
idunno.gif
lol

hes also a Pekin. they seem to be good friends!

Quote:
lol.png

exactly what I thought
idunno.gif
lol

hes also a Pekin. they seem to be good friends!

Well im glad she has a buddy
clap.gif

That looks like the oil gland, how old is she and has she molted yet? when my solid white muscovies start to look bad is a couple months before they go into molt, their feathers look ratty and they don't look water proof at all. then they will molt and they look good again. If her oil gland is plugged up moist warm compresses will help I had to do it for one of mine. I did it everyday for about a week. It did help her.

Quote:
It is the oil gland? :?
She's 11 months now. I was wondering if maybe she was beginning her molting process.. But her feathers started to look very non-waterproof right after her and her partner got attacked by the cats. I looked for her oil gland that same day and it was pretty much torn.
Could it be a coincidence that she started molting just after the accident?

Quote:
She's 11 months now. I was wondering if maybe she was beginning her molting process.. But her feathers started to look very non-waterproof right after her and her partner got attacked by the cats. I looked for her oil gland that same day and it was pretty much torn.

It's possible the stress of the accident induced the moult.

Does look like the gland is making oil there.

Quote:

It's possible the stress of the accident induced the moult.

Does look like the gland is making oil there.

I agree the stress could have brought on the molting process, it takes mine a good 2 months or more to go through the whole molting process. I'd say from looking at the picture it does look like it's making oil. Just the stress of losing her mate and being attacked probably did alot to bring all of this on. You say cats what kind of cats are you talking about?

Back
Top Bottom