Oil??? Is this normal?

Intresting Jeff Im not a vet but has any one experimented with dieretics in an effeort to treat this afflection? How does this present its self in the affected animal with out processing. Some forms of hypertension (high blood pressure) are treated with dieretics such as HCTZ 12.5-25mg in humans. This is of course a controlled substance but caffine has the same effect(on humans).Perhaps if one were to feed cola or coffie to the controll bird one could grow a super chicken!

Quote:
I seriously doubt it -- I can't see why you'd *want* to treat it in a broiler? Especially since it probably indicates a really fundamental underlying growth problem that will just get worse.

This type of ascites doesn't happen in regular chickens (well, not at any meaningful incidence rate) i.e. not in anything other than CornishX broilers.

Ascites can happen for other other reasons in laying hens, usually as a result of 'female troubles', but I would think it would be nearly impossible to ensure the continuing right dose of diuretic that would reduce fluid accumulation without actually killing the bird.

How does this present its self in the affected animal with out processing.

Severe cases of ascites have na 'overinflated' abdomen and feel like a water balloon; I think broilers typically die before getting to that stage though. I gather that the earliest stages are not always obvious and it often progresses quite rapidly to death in CornishX broilers.

JMHO,

Pat​

Normally you can catch it in broilers before it happens. Signs are labored breathing, panting hard, and lazyness. It's typically found in overfed broilers and broilers that have lived past their expiration date.

When you see this you need to restrict the feed and turn the lights out. Let them rest and clean their system out. A full crop and intestines just strains the heart that much more.

But once they get the fluid going in their lungs there isn't much to stop it. They get a dark purplish head too. By this time it's too late.

Back
Top Bottom