Oily residue from liner

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by needmorechickens!, Dec 17, 2008.

1. needmorechickens!

needmorechickens! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2008
    West TN
    The shelf liner that I bought had some kind of oily residue on it, but you couldn't tell by looking at it or feeling it. This may be only one brand. I got mine at Dollar General and put it down from day 1.

As I turned them every day, I started to notice a dark spot on each side of the egg where it touched the shelf liner. The next time i went to Dollar General I looked at the shelf liner and even the paper that it is wrapped in had some oily spots on it.
    [​IMG]

I'm not sure it had anything to do with it, but that hatch was the worst one I ever had with only 1 out of 12 hatched.

Next time I will only put it down from day 18 and put a paper towel under the eggs.

Has anyone else seen this?
    [​IMG]
    ~Rebecca

2. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    hmmm, Now that I think about it the last hatch I did I noticed on some of the eggs I could see an outline of the shelf liner, didnt think much about it..... But, I had a great hatch so dont think it affected them. I got mine at walmart !! Maybe that was the deifference !?

Sorry about your bad hatch !!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by