OK all you genetics folks! what do you think?

jarodw45

Songster
9 Years
Nov 6, 2010
Texas
I am wondering if I cross a BSameraucana roo with a black minorca hen will I get 100% blue offspring laying blue eggs(theoretically)? And if I breed same roo to white Leghorn I know offspring will be white with black specks but will they lay blue eggs? I hatched this roo from the prettiest blue egg. What do you all think?

Yes. They will lay light blue eggs though, and the egg shades may vary a tad. I've gotten some pretty good light blues, and some verging quite closely on white before.

Quote:
sorry that is blue splash ameraucana.

But you mean just the Splash " White..er " phase right ? Technically BBS stands for Blue, Black, and Splash but some say Blue Splash when referring to the Splash phase and that can get confusing.

Any Illia ( or anyone else) Do you have pics of eggs from Ameraucanas X White Egg layer breeds vs Pure Ameraucana eggs so we can see the difference ? I have been wanting to see what these eggs look like too. Since the Brown Egg gene isnt coming into play, there is no chance of green eggs correct ?

Yes, no chance, unless your Ameraucanas carry it.

I do not have photos to show though, sorry. During the time my girls were laying, I just never got around to photographing them. . . Should get some any day now though, so I'll post em when I get em.

As said, blue and splash are two different colors, though from the same breeding. Splash is being almost white with markings all over. Blue is simply solid blue/gray color, sometimes with tiny bits of black here and there.

Quote:
sorry that is blue splash ameraucana.

But you mean just the Splash " White..er " phase right ? Technically BBS stands for Blue, Black, and Splash but some say Blue Splash when referring to the Splash phase and that can get confusing.

Any Illia ( or anyone else) Do you have pics of eggs from Ameraucanas X White Egg layer breeds vs Pure Ameraucana eggs so we can see the difference ? I have been wanting to see what these eggs look like too. Since the Brown Egg gene isnt coming into play, there is no chance of green eggs correct ?

Yes the roo is splash...

Quote:

Yes the roo is splash...

Ok Then your plumage color predictions would be correct. Splash Amerauana X White Leghorn would give you chicks that are Heterozygous for both Andalusian Blue and Dominant White but the Dominant White would be the color expressed and they may have some blue spotting here and there. If you breed those offsrping together, the F2s would be half Het. Dom Whites with spotting like the parents, a quarter clean White like the Leghorns, and the other quarter would be Blue, Black, or Splash depending on home many Blue Genes they got. ( All of those F2s would technically be 25% Black 50% Blue and 25% splash underneath but the white is going to cover it in 75% of them since you are working with Dom. White.

Back
Top Bottom