1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

OK, do I need to get grit?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Momagain1, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Momagain1

Momagain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Central IL
    for my chicks?

I have this:

purena mills start/grow medicated..

do I still need to get them grit?

2. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    not until they start eating other food....

3. kelseygirl707

kelseygirl707 Dances with Chickens

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    Quote:They don't need grit until you start feeding treats as far as I know, they need it to break down Bugs and veggies and things. I just bought Cockatiel grit when I started feeding treats.

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

If you will be giving them treats or if they are going to eat grass, etc. then I would say yes.

If they will be in a coop or brooder with nothing to eat save the feed, then technically no, according to people's testimonials here on BYC.

But the McMurray website says at three days to offer grit sprinkled like salt.
    http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/chickcare.html

I always keep my chickens in grit! I have three bags of grit in my garage: size #1, #2, and #3.

I also like to do it because I SEE them eating pine shavings. Ugh.

5. CowgirlPenny

CowgirlPenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    South East TN
    I have never used grit for my hens. I use sand.

But that won't be for a while with this batch of ladies since they are just 6 days old. [​IMG]

6. Momagain1

Feb 13, 2011
    Central IL
    ok; well they just get the plain feed and tear at the paper to get to the pine shavings..but i'm not sure they consume the pine shavings..I just see them pecking..but never paid
    attention to see if they ate it or not..

7. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:I don't even know if the grit will help them if they eat pine shavings. I just worry about them getting stopped up or something. Maybe I'm being silly! [​IMG]

8. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:In your location you should have a lot of granite around. It makes a difference what your soil is like, where you live. Around here the "rocks" are limestone which is soft, so I figure they need grit. In East TN I wouldn't buy grit, either.

9. CowgirlPenny

CowgirlPenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    South East TN
    I just posted the same thing today. I had mine on paper towels and everyone said after three days it was safe to remove the paper towels, so I did and they've had the best time scratching today. It's so cute. At the age of yours, I've been told they should know the food and not eat the wood chips.

10. Momagain1

Feb 13, 2011
    Central IL
    yeah I was doing paper towels due to the ease of cleaning! LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by