OK for chicken sleep in the nesting box?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sonomachicks, Jan 8, 2011.

1. sonomachicks

sonomachicks Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2011
    My two pullets sleep in one nesting box every night ever since they were little, one lays her egg in the box, one lays outside of the box. Is OK to let them do that? I do clean the box very often. Also, one of them laid an egg at 8:30 this morning, why so early? is possible she will lay another egg today?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

This is personal preference. I don't like it myself, because of the poo that is excreted at night! Large quantities!

But with my silkies, I wouldn't mind it at all. They don't poo much at night, and they sleep on shavings anyways.

Yes, I have had chickens lay more than once per day, then rest for a day.

Some of mine lay way before 8 am. I hear the egg song sometimes at 6 am (I have light bulbs for warmth on now).

3. Gigijenn

Gigijenn Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2009
    Gray, Maine
    My 2 year old Plymouth Rock sleeps in the nest box at night...its a new phase, I'm sure she'll eventually move on to another spot. I just try to keep it extra clean since all the hens use that box. No biggie.

4. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    I don't let mine sleep in the nesting boxes. I don't like poo on my eggs.

If I have a determined hen / pullet, then I put a cardboard box in the nesting boxes at night and then go out first thing in the morning and remove them.
    I do this for a couple of weeks until I break them of the habit.

Good luck!

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I have a couple that do it, I think they want to be first to lay in the morning, sometimes I go out and the hens will be standing around waiting to go into a nest box when there 3 more empty, silly girls [​IMG]

6. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

I greatly prefer my hens not sleep in the nest box. They did one night due to an error on my part while remodeling their roosting area. It was loaded with chicken poo by morning. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by