Ok i am an official member of pip-per assister anonymous.

PhelanChick

Chirping
May 11, 2023
So my last 2 chicks were ready to go. Internally popped, one externally popped the next day nothing on the other. I waited oh so patiently (not) for him to zip or show any progress. The next morning no progress at all and the other had still not externally popped. I caved. I just can't listen to that little peeping and let them die and I was sure it was not going to make it. So I helped. Normally never goes well and i usually regret it, but at least I know I gave it a chance.

I zipped number one and he had his foot at a weird angle so I am sure he was unable to turn to zip. Got him out and left him in the incubator.

Candled number 2- still alive but no progress so I even went above my normal insanity level. I popped and zipped - he had swelling behind his head and there is no way he could get out. I didn't have much hope for him but at least he had a shot.

Well I am happy to report that they are now 4 days old and doing perfect!! Hip hip hooray for us obsessive can't leave it alone people !!!!!

Any other pip-per assister anonymous members here? I think we need a t shirt!

well, oh yeah, ive done it .. why ive learned my lesson to leave them alone lol, once you open that bator and mess with them around pip time, now you HAVE TO baby sit them and help them rest of the way .. for hours .. and hours .. lol .. im quite good at it actually and rarely lose one ive started helping, but, if id of left them and the bator alone in the first place id of got alot more sleep and had alot less stress heheh ... there are actually times 'helping' is called for and it is a small window and you only learn from experience how to spot it, usually after most have hatched already, its easier to spot a problem in a larger batch than say, 4 or 5 ... some do die, but all the 'helping' isnt changing the hatchrate percentage much lol .. very little, and if your new to it you definitely kill more than you help ..

well, oh yeah, ive done it .. why ive learned my lesson to leave them alone lol, once you open that bator and mess with them around pip time, now you HAVE TO baby sit them and help them rest of the way .. for hours .. and hours .. lol .. im quite good at it actually and rarely lose one ive started helping, but, if id of left them and the bator alone in the first place id of got alot more sleep and had alot less stress heheh ... there are actually times 'helping' is called for and it is a small window and you only learn from experience how to spot it, usually after most have hatched already, its easier to spot a problem in a larger batch than say, 4 or 5 ... some do die, but all the 'helping' isnt changing the hatchrate percentage much lol .. very little, and if your new to it you definitely kill more than you help ..
Yeah I try to let them do it , but 24 after external pip and no progress is usually a really bad sign . Either you try to help or count it as a loss. My heart just can't watch them fade and not try. I'm about 70/30 to the positive on the ones I have helped including ducklings. I'm not a pro but wouldn't consider myself new by any means. These just happened to be ones that did great. Have a good one!

So my last 2 chicks were ready to go. Internally popped, one externally popped the next day nothing on the other. I waited oh so patiently (not) for him to zip or show any progress. The next morning no progress at all and the other had still not externally popped. I caved. I just can't listen to that little peeping and let them die and I was sure it was not going to make it. So I helped. Normally never goes well and i usually regret it, but at least I know I gave it a chance.

I zipped number one and he had his foot at a weird angle so I am sure he was unable to turn to zip. Got him out and left him in the incubator.

Candled number 2- still alive but no progress so I even went above my normal insanity level. I popped and zipped - he had swelling behind his head and there is no way he could get out. I didn't have much hope for him but at least he had a shot.

Well I am happy to report that they are now 4 days old and doing perfect!! Hip hip hooray for us obsessive can't leave it alone people !!!!!

Any other pip-per assister anonymous members here? I think we need a t shirt!
I learned on my last hatch (also my first) that tempered proactively is mandatory. Unfortunately the incubation was under someone else's care at the time.

You deserve more than a t shirt, you deserve a party! 🥳🥳🥳

I became a member of your club quite a few years ago, after I let a shrink-wrapped chick die under a broody hen. The chick partially unzipped, but could do no more except peep and chirp for nearly 48 hours before it passed away. I'd always read "never assist with a broody hatch"; and the fact i let that chick die without assisting still haunts me. Since then, I have helped several other shrink-wrapped chicks under broodies hatch, which only happens during hot, dry summers. Plenty of summer rain this year, and no issues with shrink-wrapping. However, just last week, a chick under a broody pipped on the wrong/pointy side of the egg , but made no progress in unzipping after 24 hours. By then all other eggs had hatched, so I removed the egg from under the broody to examine it further. All veins and its egg yolk were completely absorbed, and all I needed to do was free the chick's head from the small end of the egg and place the chick back under the broody to dry and fluff. Idk know which chick I assisted, but it was one of these, and all eight are perfectly fine and healthy.
20230713_183425.jpg

The only thing is, now that we have posted, and if we wear a t-shirt, we're no longer anonymous, are we?🤔😁

However, just last week, a chick under a broody pipped on the wrong/pointy side of the egg , but made no progress in unzipping after 24 hours. By then all other eggs had hatched, so I removed the egg from under the broody to examine it further. All veins and its egg yolk were completely absorbed, and all I needed to do was free the chick's head from the small end of the egg and place the chick back under the broody to dry and fluff. Idk know which chick I assisted, but it was one of these, and all eight are perfectly fine and healthy.
😍🥰😘

🥳🥳🥳

Next time I incubate eggs, there will be no duck left behind!!!

Back
Top Bottom