Ok I am soft on mice but this is kind of sad.

A few mice probably won't hurt you. I work with hundreds if not over a thousand of them in a breeding colony. They are not considered "clean" and have tested positive for heliobactor and mouse norovirus. We just wear masks, gowns, and gloves just in case. We don't have to worry about fleas or any external parasites. Moms often will kill the first litter if they are disturbed or if you change their bedding the day the pups are born. If you found them already blue, they have been left for a long time by mom. Not all mice moms make traditional nests. It is a learned behavior and if the pup grew up with a non nest building mom, they won't build nests themselves unless they shack up with a nest building mom. The official method to putting neonates down is to decapitate if they are 7 days or less.

Quote:
one wonders why on earth you are breeding that many mice? I would imagine anything in great numbers would test possitive for nasty desease even humans !

This is a be nice to mice thread
wink.png

oesdog

Because I do research on mice. These mice have a great life at 70F all day and night, lighting to simulate day/light, no predator issues, all the food they can eat, vet care 24/7, cleaned cages daily with wheels and soft bedding. When they get a boo boo on their foot or get into a fight with a cage mate they get antibiotics if required, toys, and vitE oil with food supplements to heal. Without them, we could not find cures to human disorders and disease. The reason they are "postive" is because they have not gone through the strict quarantine roles in order to test "clean" for multiple generations. The clean mice are immunodeficient and have no resistance to anything because their homes are sterile. You have to shower and gown up to go into those rooms. The conditions they live in have nothing to do with why they are positive. You should see how badly infected pet store mice are compared to ours. These mice are treated better than many pets and get vet care daily if required.

I don't mind mice. I've had them as pets. But I will not have them running willy-nilly in my house, nor will I tolerate them pooping in or eating food meant for my chickens. I don't kill them, I remove any temptations for them to hang around.

Quote:
I love that! If there isn't enough food for a mouse, then we are in real trouble aren't we?
Yep, I will make that sign for me. it will help keep the hard times in perspective.

Well this morning I checked the make shift nest and - its trashed!!!!!
lol.png

Which means Momma came home!!!! I have not looked closely at what is left of my terrible effort at mouse nest housing. I just know its a really good sign cause it means she heard them and looked for them. I don;t know if she took them away. I hope she did.

- Of course there is always the possibility that another mouse came in or that she ate them but I hope she just came home and found that I kept them alive as long as I could for her. Of course I could find dead bodies tomorrow but I am trying to think possitive for the little ones. The good thing was that because I have lifted Mom out of the feed store box for weeks she is used to me , the noise in there and my smell on her. So hopefully she would forgive it on the pups but who knows I did my best and am thankful this morning that there is evidence she came back.

Oesdog
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png

ok I have pet hamsters, had pet rats etc... I dont mind a field mouse in the yard, but for some reason a wild rat just gives me the heeby jeebies lol

Bless you for not killing the older ones (shame neutering mice isnt an option huh?) lol

Back
Top Bottom