OK, I give up!!! Does anybody have a clue?

I am home right now so it is easier for me. I have it figured out basically when they lay....and it is not all at the same time. It starts early and lasts until sometimes 3pm.

I had one egg eating incident. I believe it was an egg laid on the floor of the coop that got stepped on or it could have been the hen that stands in the nest box backwards and it could have plopped out. I started the next day feeding them BOSS during the egg laying time. I throw it all over the run so they have to hunt for it. Now they are a little more interested in where the treats are. No more egg eating....so far.

The roll away nest boxes are your best bet. You can 'search' that on this site. Not much to them....as in materials. But they slant to the back and have a flap that lets the egg through but the hen can't see it after it is laid.

If you know when your hens are laying try the treat thing. I sometimes go out several times in the morning and broadcast the seeds. I don't put a lot of them out at a time but broadcast them so they have to hunt for them.

Oh gosh I wish I could go out every hour and get eggs, and I do this on the weekends. But my job requires that I leave the house at 6 am and I don't get home until 5 pm. Unfortunately there's no one else around who could mind this lovely chore for me in my place. I ma have to resort to getting a roll away nest installed and the sooner the better.

I do give them BOSS, but usually it's at the very tail end of the day when they're about to go to bed, during the one hour that they get to go out and graze. I could probably put some out in the mornings before I leave for work, but it would only take them 10 seconds to eat it all, even in a 40' run.

I never did figure out how to change the topic of this post, but I ended up making a home page. Geeze, where did all the time go!! lol Lots of pictures there if you want to look at it.

Thank you everyone for your advice and suggestions. I'll have to report back to you on this as soon as I figure out when and how I'm going to handle this.

Back
Top Bottom