OK,I give up

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by desertgirl, Apr 19, 2009.

1. desertgirl

desertgirl Roo Magnet

Mar 29, 2009
    Albuquerque,NM
    My chicks' much typed about pasty butt problem had gotten better with the molasses treatment, so I switched the girls to ACV water (didn't want to over do things and give them the runs).[​IMG]

Here it is,two days later, and the dreaded pasty butt is back. No stressors, temperature is perfect, they seem happy and thriving. Except for the whole "poop clogging up their vents putting their young lives in danger thing", everything seems fine.Ugh! [​IMG]

So evidently I need to keep the molasses thing up. Any input on long term molasses management? Can it harm them? When do you think I can safely wean them off of it?[​IMG]

2. Marion

Marion Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    I haven't heard of the molasses thing before so I can't help you there BUT I sure have seen my share of pasty butt! I just keep a check on the little hineys till they outgrow it......

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    DG, I don't think the molasses is going to hurt them in the long run but I'll check with someone that would know for sure and get back to you.
    As you've discovered there are several different things that can lead to pasty butt, constipation being one of them.
    Your girls should be outgrowing it just any time now. [​IMG]
    It's just your silkies that are having this problem, correct?
    BB, Kat

4. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Have you tried basting, er... wiping their little tushies with olive oil? It kind of helped when we had an epidemic of pasty butt. The other reasons I've heard that cause it are stress caused by temperature and the eating of shavings. Have you tried using sand instead of wood shavings for bedding?

5. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Yes, I heard putting vaseline on their butts to prevent the poo from sticking might help.
    Good luck, got a few of those myself. I just keep cleaning em.

6. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Ya know, I've just raised 25 chicks, first time. I saw some poop stuck to their butts and just picked it off and some times just left it and gave them grit. Some times their poop was black as tar. I gave them a little lettuce, after a few weeks of course. They were fed medicated feed. 20% protein. Just cause there is poop on their butts doesn't mean "pasty butt". That's just my opinion, but like I said they all survived. I did change their water two to three times a day.
    Oh and I forgot to mention. I checked out every book from the public library on chickens and did a quick read on each. They've all got their methods and opinions. I never read anything about a molasses cure.
    I did have a couple of chicks who looked sick breathing fast. I quarantined them gave them food and water and kept them in the dark. If they're eating and drinking they should be fine I would think. I did give them yogurt with an eye dropper per some advice on this site. Sometimes I think they just need some sleep, but that is "my opinion". Good garden of peas, how can any of them get some rest when the ones awake just walk over the top of them and with the light on 24/7. The two are alive and kickin. Seems to me small groups are easier to take care of than big lots. I broke mine down to 12 each, then 6/8. They're all together now. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Actually I didn't clean pasty butt off unless it was blocking the vent.
    I only had three that had it blocking the vent, so I cleaned those and luckily it cleared up in a few days.
    DG, I sent you a PM. [​IMG]

8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Is it too hot in there?

9. UrbanPolish

UrbanPolish Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2009
    Quote:Same with me. I have one chick with pasty butt, but so far the vent as remained mostly clear. If it looks like it might start to be getting blocked I just start cleaning again [​IMG]

10. upthecreek

upthecreek Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    South Alabama
    Good advice here for this problem !!!

To much heat - not enough heat - lights on all the time - crowded - could be any one or a multiple of these causing this problem . One needs to address it right away and stay on top of it for the good health of the chicks !!

Don't Give Up - Fight Back !!!

Best to You ,
    Shannon

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by