1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ok-- I have an orphaned Leghorn--can a 5 wk old chick give her comfort

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cjatthefarm, Aug 23, 2011.

1. cjatthefarm

cjatthefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2010
    Tucson
    The remaining chick that the leghorn didn't kill is all alone. I am afraid after 24 hours that her mother might not remember her. This story of the leghorn killing two ee's is in another thread....
    Anyway, I have 3 little ee's 5 wks old. If I took just one and placed it w/ the now, 2 day old chick; would there be blood?

Thanks for the help.

2. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    I would try, put them together in a place where neither of them is familiar with so there will be no felling of someone coming into someone else’s territory so less fighting maybe, and watch them carefully for a few days and if the older one is mean in any way take the chick away and you may just have to be his only friend until he can care for himself

3. cjatthefarm

Aug 26, 2010
    Tucson
    Thanks Cat!

I am gonna try to catch one of the three after dusk tonight! I appreciate your response.

4. lauriej57

lauriej57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2010
    Southwest Michigan
    That's a huge size difference between the chicks. I didn't read your other post, but does the 2 day old know to drink water and eat?

I'm not saying it won't work, it just may, but make sure you have something set up where the 2 day old can go to where the 5 week old won't fit. I'm not sure where you are at, but are the nights warm enough for the chick?

I would keep a very close eye on them.

5. cjatthefarm

Aug 26, 2010
    Tucson
    Yeah, I lost my nerve. I haven't put anyone with the little one as yet. I have food & water for her, but she's not interested as yet. I expect she'll get hungry later today.

It's in the 80's or low 70's at night. But I have a heat lamp that she can get as close to or as far way from as she likes. That's another thing, the 5 week old may get a tad warm, so I'm doing nothing but watching and loving the lone baby!

Thanks for your thoughts!

6. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    Is there a feed store near you that you could buy one or two other chicks to put with the lonely baby? Also temporarily a mirror and a stuffed animal or feather duster will help the little guy feel less alone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by