Ok, I have decided on the types of ducks I want....but

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by D'Angelo N Va., Jan 13, 2011.

1. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    ok, I have decided on the 2 types of ducks I want. One being the Muscovy and the other being the Saxony. I just saw some pictures and I must have some...now, my question is....will the two mate together...I am thinking about getting about 12 saxonys and about 6 muscovies....I am hoping they will not..

2. cracking up

cracking up Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    So Cal
    They will. My muscovys seem to prefer their own kind, but they'll mate with whatever is available. You'll get some mixed chicks.

3. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    I have scovys, runners and khaki campbells together, everyone breeds with everyone.

4. D'Angelo N Va.

Dec 28, 2009
    hmmmm, that's what I was afraid of....I definitely do NOT want that....I need to come up with a plan. Maybe I will keep one of them penned up, but I really wanted them running around so they could keep down the ticks, flies and possible snakes...I hear ducks, esp. Muscovies are fearless of them for the most part.

5. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

My Muscovy ducks will take down anything from garter snakes to frogs-which they can usually catch very easily. They're very friendly and do keep the bug popluation down.

When Muscovies mate with any other breed of duck, the offspring produced are mules. Doesn't matter very much if you're not interested in mutts, but just a tid-bit.

Perhaps alternate free-ranging? One day 1 group goes out, the next day the other one does?

Edited for clarification.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  6. D'Angelo N Va.

Dec 28, 2009
    Well if I could only have one kind, I think it would be the Muscovies...so with that I would be happy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by