ok I need some personal advice that has been asked before

hypnofrogstevie

chick magnet
16 Years
Jul 12, 2007
Newport, MI
I have duck eggs in the bator as you all know lol. I am going to be finishing the coop next week for the chickens. Are there any pros or cons about mixing the ducks and chickens? I am thinking about seperating them. we have a doghouse filled with hay for the duckies when they are older and will seperate if need be. I am also digging a hole to fit the kiddie pool. So which is better?

also can the baby ducks have purina start and grow like chickens?

I keep my ducks (bei & khaki campbells) in with my chickens. There have been no problems but the ducks are loners and prefer to be off by themselves. The ducks are really really messy and the water (5 gal) has to be changed twice a day or more. Right now with the thaw its three times due to the sludge they manage to get in the waterer. This spring the ducks will have a new home of their own.

I dug a hole for my kiddy pool too and then with all the splashing and mud it eventually perma-welded itself into the ground. And you could only clean it by flooding it out. Are you installing a drain kit of some kind in the pool? If you are, maybe you can let us know how it goes. If it works I might contemplate sinking the pool again. That way they don't bend the side on it when the get in and out over and over and over...........
big_smile.png

I wouldnt mix them until they are older. The chickens can pick on and harm the ducklings.
The medication in chick starter can make ducklings sick. I would use gamebird starter.

Quote:
i will try and see if I can put a drain on it. I will get some pics of my experiment.

marebear,

They wont be put into the same coop till they are about 6 months. if seperation is best then 2 months they will be outside

edited for stupid typos

Last edited:
The medication in the feed won't make a difference. I believe they changed the dosage or type of med and it is now safe to use with ducklings. You could always go with non medicated feed if you wish, but it won't really make a difference. I usually feed all my birds non medicated anyways.

Ducks are MESSY. THey will make a mess of your waterers and your shavings. That being said, they can be kept with chickens. I have geese AND ducks in with some chickens and they mostly keep to themselves. I don't keep their kiddie pool in the coop and only let them use it when they free range. If I were to keep the pool in the coop, the ground would just be sludge! Like I said, they are messy! Also, keep the food and waterers away from each other. Otherwise the ducks will just turn the food into mush.

Thanks for the input. I use a disposable brooder or "carboard box brooder" so they wont be able to kick out the shavings. I am used to messy animals. I dont keep the feed and waterer toghether?

Last edited:
Well, don't put them too close together. Put one at one end and the other at the other end.

You'll find that with a cardboard box, things will get soggy very quickly! You may want to use a large rubber maid container or something. I usually put screen over the top and dump out the shavings when needed.

ok thank you for the advice. I have a leftover bin that I can use for the 6 eggs in the bator now. then move them downstairs. Thank you for your help

I wouldn't want to raise them together unless you've got a giant brooder to do it in. The ducklings make such a mess with their water everything is soggy in no time. I've raised a lot of ducklings and chicks and can't imagine trying to combine them. I feed mine Purina Start & Grow.

Back
Top Bottom