OK, I saw the coon, and can't catch him in the trap! UPDATED 6 DOA

kathyinmo

Nothing In Moderation
12 Years
May 14, 2009
(SW MO) Nevada, Missouri
My Coop
My Coop
I saw the coon. I bought a trap. He is eating the fish from the trap and not even tripping it. I put fish on top and below the trip thingy. It is a HAVAHART brand with both ends open. I also put plywood, a bit larger than the size, on the bottom, so it would be more difficult to turn over. What else can I do? More bait, different bait? DS tried to shoot him, but missed. He still came back later!

Thus far, I have not lost any chickens. I have 3 coops, and they are all locked up securely each night. This coon (or coon family) just climb on in the run, and eat any extra chicken feed they can.

Last edited:
I just spent sometime talking with a man who works for the dept of fish and wildlife. He advised me to put either burlap or carpet in the trap - said that the coons don't like the feel of wire on their feet and that they don't step on the flap that will trip the trap. If it is covered with a fabric they are more likely to step on it. He also suggested marshmallows or granola bars for bait - doesn't attract the cats like fish would.

Good luck - I am dealing with a racoon right now also.

yuckyuck.gif

Have you adjusted the trap's trigger pan and/or the wire arm that holds the door open? When the trap is new or after you've had an animal in the trap the wire may be out of adjustment or bent and will neeed to be fiddled with to ensure the door will close properly.

At this time of year any sweet bait will work well for coons and with the heat are less likely to attract flies and get maggots in your bait.

Are you using a can to hold the bait? Make sure the can is wired to the bottom and cannot be reached from outside the cage. If you cover the trap, so it becomes a small cave, it will also make it more attractive to a coon. An old blanket works well for this.

Make sure if you have to handle the trap with a live coon inside you use extreme care as they are quite agile and can bite you from inside the cage.

Good luck.

BantyRooster...
No, I did not do any of those things. This is all new to me. The trap is brand new, but I did, "test," it and it worked ok. I appreciate all the tips, and will incorporate those as well. Thanks!

Hi. I've never tried to trap a raccoon, but I did end up catching one while trying to trap some feral barn cats for a neighbor (to have them spayed/neutered), so it must work similarly. My traps were all covered w/old pieces of cloth (burlap or just an torn sheet...whatever), so it was like a private little cave. I think they feel safer that way. Also, I put a little hay in the traps to help cover the wire bottom. Got 12 cats and one raccoon from that barn that way. Good luck!

I use something sticky and stinky--potted meat or catfood works great--and smear it on the trigger itself. The coon will come inside to lick it off. Can't grab it or get it any other way.

I catch a lot of coons that way. Yes, it's nasty to clean, but it works.

the racoon is trap smart. use marshmellows, but dig a small hole under the trap or attach a small dish, and put some marshmellows in the hole or dish. the racoon will be so determined to get the marshmellows that he will forget its a trap. good luck.

Back
Top Bottom