ok, is this going to be a serious issue?? *updated*

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by agnes_day, Jan 28, 2009.

1. agnes_day

agnes_day Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    the lady that we buying the goats from just emailed me about them, and we were talking back and forth and she said that they will scream when we first pick them up because they dont like to be held.
    is that normal??

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2009
  2. Not sure... I would guess that a larger animal like a goat is not going to be very fond of being held. I know my 110 pound labrador detests being picked up...

3. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    The goats Ive had dont like to be picked up. I dont think that should be an issue. [​IMG]

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    well...it honestly depends how much they have been held.....i dont remember my goats screaming when we held them....so, maybe they will at first....but the more you hold them and give them treats it will tame them out....good luck! [​IMG]

5. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Ever try to pick up a duck that hasn't been hand-raised??? [​IMG]

6. Ugly Cowboy

Ugly Cowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2008
    Corn, OK
    Sounds normal to me. Even the newborn lambs, kids, etc scream when ya pick 'em up, its fine.

7. cwc362

cwc362 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    Huntingdon- West Tn
    I think it's normal for some. They are scared and just like kids they cry and scream sometimes. Pick up a baby pig sometimes and see how many decibels you get!! Just don't try that if the mama is around LOL

Wayne

8. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:OMG! the first time i picked up my piglet..i almost dropped him! he scared the crud outta' me! [​IMG]

9. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    It depends totally on how much they've been handled since birth. And, of course, their individual personalities.

If they haven't been handled much or only by one or two people they are likely to scream and struggle at first.

I do highly suggest never 'trapping' or chasing a goat (any age) and then trying to pet it or pick it up. Let the goat come to you... use treats to help encourage them to do so. Sit near them or just work around them and talk or sing or eat something and just wait. Over a period of several days or a week or two all but the most "wild" goat will eventually come to you. Take it slow at first with them and you will be rewarded with an obnoxious friend for life! [​IMG]

When I first went to see my Nigerians, the breeder had eight kids under lthree weeks old. I picked all of them up to help him get them used to being handled and only one actually screamed about it.

10. agnes_day

agnes_day Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2008
    oklahoma
    im just trying to figure this out..we are going to be transporting them in the back of our suburban...she said all we need to do is just pick them up and carry them to the car. will they completely freak when they get in the car? we also bought 2 bunnies from her, so we will have a full load i think, especially since we decided to get the solid black ones sister, since she is black with blue eyes, how pretty!!
    so do the kids just hold them in their laps? also, when they go to the bathroom..is it like chickens, where it just happens, or will they try not to do it if someone is holding them?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by