OK, it's because all of you made me......now I need help

Quote:
Thanks and nope I didn't wash them. That's a good idea about leaving them in the nest boxes. I think I will do that. 90% hatch I would love that.

My first hatch the power went out, the second one my temp went up to 110. What a time, I hope this one is better. These are my own eggs. HOOT

Leaving them in the nest boxes probably isn't a good idea unless you want the chickens to incubate them. In summer they will get too warm, in winter they will get too cold (depending where you are), and if a chicken starts to sit on them they will start to incubate. Once they start to develop a chick they have to be kept around 99-100F or the chick will die. If they heat up too much and then you bring them inside they will die. They also will not last as long left outside in the wide range of temps as put in a cool room inside at the proper storage temp. Also even if you get them into an incubator after they start to develop your more likely to have eggs hatching at different days from being laid and incubating on different days compared to all being stored at low temps. Hatching on different days is complicated and can cause the death of chicks unless you have a seperate hatcher to move the eggs into as they get ready to hatch.

Quote:
I don't think the chickens would incubate them only because they are RIR's. But if they did that would be ok to.

I live in Pa and it is getting cold at night so maybe you are right. The temp here is going to be 58 in the day and 38 at night. I better take them and put them in the house. I think I will check the temp in the basement, it's a little cooler there.

I don't have a seperate hatcher to more them to, I wish I did.

Well the eggs are back in the freg. DH and I don't mean dear, said to wait because he doesn't want to move all the wood. He wants to do them in December, now wouldn't you think he would need to move the wood in the snow. I am depressed.
sad.png
hit.gif

Back
Top Bottom