Ok my last question for the evening, I promise...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jdavidphero, Feb 18, 2012.

1. jdavidphero

jdavidphero Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2012
    When I went out to check on the chickens (my first day with chickens) they were all just cuddled up in the run and had not gone indoors to roost? Do they have to learn to climb the ramp or will I need to go aout there and catch them at night to secure them indoors? Here is a pic, I am afraid maybe I did something wrong (maybe the door to the inside is too small????).[​IMG]

please advise and thanks

2. justafeedboy

justafeedboy Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2011
    in my own little world
    you will probably need to put them in for the night. I put treats up the ramp to entice them. after a couple of days they got it. They had no trouble going down. I put them on the roost every night till they got it. Don't give up.

3. mikecnorthwest

mikecnorthwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    My Coop
    An easy way to train them is to put a light inside the coop so they have something to head to when it gets dark. An easy solution is one of those stick on LED lights that you push on and off. I have a solar light kit on my coop that comes on when it gets dark.

4. jdavidphero

Feb 15, 2012
    great idea on the lights, but i would have built a larger coop if I realized i needed to actually PUT them on the roost. I am sure they will be fine but I want them to learn asap. Since they are sued to roosting themselves you would think they would know to hop or fly up there?

5. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    I had the same problem when I first got my 7 pullets last summer. They lined up on the ramp to roost. I had to physically put them inside the first night. After that, they went up on their own. It's just a new place to them and they don't know what to do yet. You probably will just have to put them inside one night - but some chickens are stubborn - or maybe not very bright. I have a white EE right now that I added to the flock this week. I've had to place her on the roost for the past 4 nights - and she still doesn't go up on her own.

Good luck!

6. jdavidphero

Feb 15, 2012
    Its not like I do not have the time to put them up there, i just sorta expeceted them to know to go inside, oh well I guess I am learnind as well, thanks

7. yellowirenut

yellowirenut Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    New haven, IN
    with mine i held them and "walked" them up the ramp....from there they found the roost.
    Goofy things then tried to hop into the coop with out using the ramp..again i walked them up it. they caught on after the second time walking them up it.
    the little light in the coop should help. It does not have to be big just enough for them get the hint.

8. pmal64

pmal64 New Egg

Dec 23, 2011
    I also had to put my RIRs in the coop for about 3 nights when they were first put in the run/coop. they piled up right outside the door in the corner of the run. when they finally started going in by themselves, it took them even longer to learn to roost! but they have adapted well. I think I have a "couple" that still sleeps on the floor in the corner!
    they will figure it out and be fine!

9. jdavidphero

Feb 15, 2012
    thanks so much for the advise. My ladies are still learning I guess? i will just keep putting them where I think they belong and I pray they willm catch on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by