ok, new question

Laura k

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 15, 2015
Texas
Hi everyone! I have my three pet chickens who the sellers said they were all female. But one of my chickens cockadoodledoos sometimes and now Im beginning to wonder if they were wrong! Is it possible for a female to make noises similar to that of the rooster?

Possible, but very unlikely... a hen crowing is fairly rare and usually is an older one taking on the roosters role... if you have a young one crowing, then sorry, but he is a rooster...

well bummer! if it is a rooster he will have to go live at my friends an hour from here in the country. My neighbors will not be happy with me if I have a rooster, so im hoping maybe she just does that , but thing is, she/he is young, not old

Sounds like a definite rooster then, sorry... if he has very thin pointy feathers hanging down on either side at the base of his tail, then absolutely he is a roo...

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

You might post a pic up here on this thread or in the What Breed or Gender section just to be sure before you rehome this bird...https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this

Good luck and welcome to our flock!

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
I'm glad you joined.

If a bird is crowing, it is almost certainly a rooster. Generally, only old or very dominant hens tend to crow. If you want to be certain, I suggest posting a photo of the suspect bird, either in the What Breed or Gender section that Two Crows linked to, or on this thread.

Good luck with your flock!

welcome-byc.gif
celebrate.gif

Welcome to BYC!!! There are loads of members on here…so if you have ANY questions…just ASK!!!

Hope you have loads of fun and all your answers answered here on BYC the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM on EARTH!!

welcome-byc.gif
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom