Ok, now this is freaking me out!

veronicasmom

Songster
10 Years
Aug 31, 2009
The Muscovy that I have that appears to have an underdeveloped preen gland is not acting "normal" today. I don't know if it is because she is just starting to lay. Or something is wrong. I have 6 ducks that should be laying. I get 3-5 eggs daily. I think it is one of the newest Muscovies that is not laying and hopefully it is her. Today she was quiet, sitting around a lot more than normal. I found a very soft shelled egg in the shed when she was in there, probably around 7pm. She is eating and her eyes look good, but she is quiet. Do I have to worry?

And the other thing that I wondered about. My black Muscovy is doing this new thing. She squeaks. She never used to make this noise. She used to do the trilling thing. But lately she's been just walking along and will let out a couple of squeaks. Is this normal for them? She is laying, almost daily. It is pretty cute actually. But the other three scovies don't make this same noise.

As if I don't have enough other stuff to worry about........elderly father, elderly horses, elderly dog, elderly cat with issues...........ugh

Just keep an eye on the 'quiet' duck she is most likely fine. The 'squeaking' duck is probably getting ready to start setting. Relax, a sense or responsibility is one heck of a burden.

We have both lost ducks to egg yolk peritonitis, and I feel that is a shadow over me whenever a duck seems a little off.

Last night, Zwei plopped down in a nest spot, then a few minutes later I saw her tail tucked way down, and she was breathing a little heavily. I watched and watched. She finally laid an egg (this was late evening, several hours before usual laying time). She no longer breathed heavily, still had her tail tucked. In every other way she seemed fine. I have seen this before with premature laying.

This morning, there she was, bright eyed and bushy tailed. Okay, not bushy, really.

So I cannot say there is nothing amiss, but I think I understand a little about your being very concerned. Do you give the flock extra vitamins from time to time? That might be a boost. Aside from that I would suggest gently feeling her belly, feet and bill to see if anything doesn't feel right, or feels way too warm, maybe give a lukewarm bath to relax muscles, if you are up for it.

Sometimes my runners chirp/squeek, and I attribute that to something dry getting stuck in their throat. Water usually makes it go away, but sometimes it takes a day or two.

hugs.gif

Thanks, I hope you are right. Having just lost one only a little over a week ago, I am really a bit on edge.

I don't give extra vitamins. Should I be? What kind? And how much?
In my next life I will be only a gardener. Plant a plant, it dies, throw in in the compost pile and get another. No getting attached! LOL

I keep vitamins on hand to give during times of stress (sometimes simply my own!). There are poultry vitamins, some with probiotics and electrolytes, some just vitamins.

If you have any apple cider vinegar you could add a couple of tablespoons to a gallon of water and that is said to be a tonic for ducks (and people, too).

In my next life I will be only a gardener. Plant a plant, it dies, throw in in the compost pile and get another. No getting attached! LOL
As far as the squeaking goes my broody Muscovies do this so maybe thats what your seeing [or rather hearing] I hope so. and they walk around looking like a sumo wrestler ready to take on any who get in their way. Hope she is fine this morning. But remember Muscovies love to brood so that just maybe the case. i swear mine will sit on snake eggs if given the chance.

As far as the squeaking goes my broody Muscovies do this so maybe thats what your seeing [or rather hearing] I hope so. and they walk around looking like a sumo wrestler ready to take on any who get in their way. Hope she is fine this morning. But remember Muscovies love to brood so that just maybe the case. i swear mine will sit on snake eggs if given the chance. I keep Poultry Nutri Drench on hand for all occasions you can read about it here http://barnyardsandbackyards.org/2010/09/18/review-nutri-drench/ and some like Avia Charge 2000.

Last edited:
Thanks Miss Lydia. Oh yeah, that description is Valentina to a T! She is by far the broodiest of all of them. That makes perfect sense. Thanks. One less thing to worry about. She has decided that the hay manger in the goats shed is a perfect place to nest. Fortunately the goats don't care. But I can't just leave her there all the time, so she gets REALLY annoyed at me when I have to kick her out. Then she goes around squeaking.
I will grab some vitamins too.
Vada (the one I was worried about) seems fine this am. And she was last night when my husband fed them around 10pm. I guess this is just being broody too. All my other duck breeds (Pekin, Runner, Swedish, and then a few crosses) were not like the muscovies when it comes to that. They are really different ducks, aren't they? Although, my little tiny Vanessa is a pretty broody too. She is MEAN when sitting on a nest. She is the smallest duck we have and has the most attitude. But the Muscovies are really the ones that strike me as so different.

Thanks Miss Lydia. Oh yeah, that description is Valentina to a T! She is by far the broodiest of all of them. That makes perfect sense. Thanks. One less thing to worry about. She has decided that the hay manger in the goats shed is a perfect place to nest. Fortunately the goats don't care. But I can't just leave her there all the time, so she gets REALLY annoyed at me when I have to kick her out. Then she goes around squeaking.
I will grab some vitamins too.
Vada (the one I was worried about) seems fine this am. And she was last night when my husband fed them around 10pm. I guess this is just being broody too. All my other duck breeds (Pekin, Runner, Swedish, and then a few crosses) were not like the muscovies when it comes to that. They are really different ducks, aren't they? Although, my little tiny Vanessa is a pretty broody too. She is MEAN when sitting on a nest. She is the smallest duck we have and has the most attitude. But the Muscovies are really the ones that strike me as so different.
Yes they are very different, Of course I have no other ducks to compare them too but just knowing how my ducks behave and react it's very interesting and broodiness is very contagious, if one starts there are others that will follow we are on out 3rd broody so far since March. LOL Glad Vada is good today.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom