Ok Raccoon chicken / wire - Hardware cloth question

We are in the process of building a peafowl pen that will also be used by my other fowl. After doing tons of research, we are putting up 1/4 inch hardware cloth and 2x4 strong fencing over that. 1/4 inch will keep snakes and rats out and the 2x4 will prevent coons, dogs, coyotes,etc. out. We are digging small (10-12 inch) trenches but plan on pouring concrete into the trenches. My husband was afraid the wire would rust and not last long.

We are planning to use small fence staples. I assume these are at least as sturdy as poultry staples? I've never heard of the latter, being a novice in the chicken world!

I am getting the feeling that the 1/2" wire in 19 guage is not considered as secure as 2x4 welded wire... But the larger holes will allow a raccoon to reach in, which they have been known to do, killing chickens from outside the coop. I could really use some specific recommendations for the wiring material. Coop building plans just don't seem to address the issue of predator-proofing. And what about weasels? Can't they get through a 2x4" hole?

A quick Google check says yes
smile.png
Fence staples look like Poultry staples. The U shape wraps around the wire and pulls it to the wood. A flat Arrow type staple with its 'wide stance' just can't grip the same even if they are long.

"And what about weasels? Can't they get through a 2x4" hole?"

That is why I put the 1/2" hardware cloth over the existing 2x4 welded wire. I'm sure a weasel can figure out how to climb a 4' plywood wall and waltz right through the welded wire. It was a bit of a blow to my plans. My total 'conversion' cost was about $150, $90 of that was the 1/2" hardware cloth I originally didn't know I needed since the 'open' area above the stall walls was already covered with either 2x4 welded or chicken wire. Then I started reading about predators in BYC. The rest of the cost is mainly door hardware, including $18 for 2 adjustable self closing hinges for the 'people door'. The eggs we will start getting in a few months are becoming increasingly expensive
wink.png

Bruce

I have realized that I may be asking a slightly different question. Because our coop is a stall in the barn, the wire has to be secure enough for NIGHT time protection.

I appreciate the advice and accounts of other's coops, and will take it all into account. We may end up building plywood panels that can be closed up at night (and during the coldest part of our Canadian winter!) in which case the hardware cloth should be sufficient. I have to agree with Bruce - these eggs are getting expensive! LOL!

We may end up building plywood panels that can be closed up at night (and during the coldest part of our Canadian winter!) in which case the hardware cloth should be sufficient.

I'm also thinking about winter. The horse stall coop is large for the 12 chickens we have and has GREAT ventilation as the top 3' is wire on 3 sides. They have 93 sq ft of ventilation area. Good for summer but that might be a big problem in the winter. I need to figure out how much ventilation they need in the winter. Rather than plywood though, I'm thinking I need to increase the cost per egg even more by using plexiglass. The birds need and deserve all the light they can get
smile.png

Plus, at the moment, we have a piece of plywood over the bottom part of the people door because my wife said they shouldn't potentially have wind blowing at ground level. They frequently sit on the 'deep litter' board in front of their little glass chicken door. Clearly THEY want to see what is going on. But, at 5 weeks, only about 3 can sit there at a time. Putting plexi over the people door would make for happier chickens. And isn't that what it is all about?

Bruce

We have plexiglass windows for winter and the chickens love looking outside. It also helps let the sunshine in for warmth and light. It's also nice for when we want to look in on them, but not actually go in . In the summer, we replace some of the plexiglass with hardware cloth. On the biggest window, we actually used a piece of concrete mesh we had leftover from a project. After reading about what animals are capable of chewing through, I'm now thinking we should put that on all of the windows. Anything trying to chew through that will cut its mouth up pretty bad!! It has very small openings, similar to hardware cloth.

We have plexiglass windows for winter and the chickens love looking outside. It also helps let the sunshine in for warmth and light. It's also nice for when we want to look in on them, but not actually go in . In the summer, we replace some of the plexiglass with hardware cloth. On the biggest window, we actually used a piece of concrete mesh we had leftover from a project. After reading about what animals are capable of chewing through, I'm now thinking we should put that on all of the windows. Anything trying to chew through that will cut its mouth up pretty bad!! It has very small openings, similar to hardware cloth.

I want to correct one thing I said in the above post. I went to the store to get more of what I thought was called 'concrete mesh' for the screens in our new coop and its actually called metal lathe - its used for stucco and other projects. It won't hurt the chickens if they fly into it, but anything trying to chew through it will get a mouth-full of hurt.

I went to the store to get more of what I thought was called 'concrete mesh' for the screens in our new coop and its actually called metal lathe

I hope you mean metal "LATH". A lathe could be quite damaging to a chicken if it were turned on when the bird flew into it.
wink.png

It certainly is sturdy stuff. General web search turned up only one size: 27"x8'. If you were designing with this in mind, can get it locally and didn't need much, it could be cost effective.

I hope you mean metal "LATH". A lathe could be quite damaging to a chicken if it were turned on when the bird flew into it.
wink.png

It certainly is sturdy stuff. General web search turned up only one size: 27"x8'. If you were designing with this in mind, can get it locally and didn't need much, it could be cost effective.
Oops! Yes, my mistake - lath! We got ours at Menards and it was about that size. We just cut to fit.

I routinely use the 1/2 inch hardware cloth covered with the 2x4 welded wire for the same reason. The 2x4 to keep things from reaching trough so bad and the welded for the strength. Even then I close mine all up in the coop at night. Gloria Jean

Back
Top Bottom