Ok so im thinking about selling hatching eggs.....

Urbanchickenfarmer

Songster
10 Years
Apr 27, 2009
Woodburn, OR
OK so my eggs if i were to sell them would be Buff orpington and Black orpinton roosters over my RIR hen, Splash Jersey Giant hen, 3 buff orpington hens, and a blue orpington hen.

If i were to sell these how much would people be willing to pay for a dozen of these shipped. I need the money to keep my chickens living and upgrade some of there stuff.

Since there will only mutts and no pure breeds you can't expect to get any more for them than you would if you sell them as eating eggs. Most people won't be willing to pay the shipping charges for them. You'd be better off to sell them as eating eggs to your neighbors or family members.

they arent only mutts. The black orpington only mates with the blue for some reason... and thats how most people get there blue birds.... and most of the eggs i get are buff orpingtons. I have three buff orpingtons with my BO roo. So out of the two days i would collect to get the eggs half of the dozen would be buff orpingtons cause my hens lay everyday.

Unless you keep them penned seperate and can guarentee who's breeding who most people won't give much for them because you won't be able to say 100% for sure what they're going to be getting. There is nothing wrong with mixed breeds but most people won't pay much for them.

I would recommend separating the Buff Orpington hens with the Rooster. Sell them for maybe $2/egg plus shipping.

The other chickens, while very nice wouldn't excite most, cuz like Katy said, they are mutts. Understand too that it takes up to 3 weeks to get "pure" eggs (i.e. all Buff)

So, if you get 3x7= 21 eggs a week, you could advertise 18 eggs in an auction and see what you get.

I raise Buff Orps and try to add new blood to my lines, so having pure BO would appeal to me, but I wouldn't look twice at mutts, sorry!!!

Good luck
Christina

Im not sure if youd consider all these mutss-but I couldnt resist the combination possiblities-polish-cochins-light brahmas-rumpless EE's and some others-I paid 20$ including shipping for 30+ eggs-which I think were 2 eggs? oh and a duck egg-that I did not know was a duck egg until his beak popped out of the egg!--It was worth it to me-they are all 5 weeks old now and you can tel there are pures in there-phew--I have Bo's too that are pure-5 in my brooder that are 5 days old been looking for a black BO to add and would buy eggs from you but only if I was guaranteed the father was teh black BO roo with reg-BO hens

So, if you get 3x7= 21 eggs a week, you could advertise 18 eggs in an auction and see what you get

That would be great for local pick up, but not for shipping --- in my opinion.
Try 3 (hens) x 4 (days) = 12 'fresh for hatching' eggs. 4-day-old eggs are ok, but fresher is better when offering eggs for hatching that must be shipped.
Shipping is hard on fresh eggs with small air cells. With older eggs the 'shipping stress' is compounded.
I'm sure you'll find interested folks if you offer your eggs for sale --- more interest probably if you offer eggs from the blue x black Orp pair and the buff Orp quad (if you are able to seperate everyone into breeding pens).
Good luck!​

It is possible to seperate them. My coop is a double level and i can block the levels off and then i have an area inside my schools barn so that i can seperate them to breed them.

i have had my hens a friend gave me i have no rooster my little hen is setting on five fertile eggs i didnt think they could be i have had them almost four weeks:ya:woot

Back
Top Bottom