OK, so what do you think??

OHChick

Songster
12 Years
May 8, 2007
Last Wednesday we found our first egg from my 18 wk old NH Reds. Last Friday I found 2, Saturday 3, Sunday 2, Monday 2, Tuesday 2, Wednesday 0, Thursday 2, Today 1. But I have 21 chickens here now (1 is a roo). So are just a few laying? Or are they hiding them elsewhere? We found the first batch kind of everywhere, so in 2 nests that we are fine with them using, we put golf balls in. We have checked the other locations we found eggs before and nada, nothing there.

So what do y'all think? Are there eggs somewhere else that we're just not finding? Or because they are just getting started that they have not really ramped up yet. I can have a serious egg hunt this weekend when I have more daylight to work with.

From what I have experienced with my new layers they are not every day layers when they first get started and if by chance they find where another has laid a egg they will lay there too if its time. I have found some in some odd places...you might need ot coop them up for a few days till they get the idea of where they are supposed to be laying...now mine lay where they are supposed to most of the time...but still find stray eggs elsewhere too...new girls dont lay like older hens...and are still learning...

Back
Top Bottom