Ok Strange happenings.

Billyj

Songster
10 Years
Jan 20, 2010
Gaffney SC
Here is the situation. In my pen, I have 1 Sultan Bantam hen, 1 red buff cochin, and 5 mutts. (1 roo, and the rest hens). Up until a day or so ago, I was getting 4 brown eggs from the ladies. Every once in a while, I would get a "fart" egg from my sultan hen. About a week ago, I only started getting 3 brown eggs. I figured one of my hens was starting to molt. Well yesterday, I got 3 brown eggs, 1 white bullet shaped egg (kinda small) and 1 white egg of regular size. Today I got 3 brown eggs, and 1 white egg of average size. I know that the sultan does not lay everyday,and her egg would be smaller that a regular sized egg, so where is the other white egg coming from. Can a chicken change the color of the egg? I thought that they only laid 1 color. I am confused about the happenings in the pen. Is this normal?? I have never read of this happening before, but because the extra white egg is of normal size, it can't be coming from the sultan. Plus I can't see her laying 2 eggs in 1 day and then another 1 the next?!? Has anyone else had this happen? Just asking.

Nope 5 hens. 4 mutts - brown eggs 1 sultan hen - several white "fart" eggs and then 1 bullet egg ( this is only the 5 egg she has laid)

then yesterday:

3 brown eggs (normal size) 1 white egg (bullet shaped) 1 white egg (normal size)

today:

3 brown eggs (normal size) and 1 white egg (normal size)

sorry the red cochin is a roo

Last edited:
Well, sometimes young hens lay small eggs , then bigger eggs as they get older. Or sometimes eggs get lighter. Or sometimes a roo turns into a hen. I don't know. One of my hens laid 2 eggs in one day, but did that just once.

In good weather it is not too unusall for one of my hens to lay 2 in one day. My auracuna (sp) started out with fairly green eggs and now are almost white. My Buffs will lay small eggs in winter and big in the good weather. And it is really not unusuall for my ducks to drop 2 eggs in one day.....my days are longer due to putting a timer on the coop lights.

Back
Top Bottom