Ok the guineas are 16 weeks old...

deniserago

In the Brooder
Aug 1, 2015
I have lost two. Last time I let two out I only got one who was a mile away at a guys house in the woods. It took days to catch her! So now they are 16 weeks old. Shall I let them all out and leave the stall/coop door open for them to return? I cant keep them in forever but I am afraid to lose them. Thank you Denise

I have lost two. Last time I let two out I only got one who was a mile away at a guys house in the woods. It took days to catch her! So now they are 16 weeks old. Shall I let them all out and leave the stall/coop door open for them to return? I cant keep them in forever but I am afraid to lose them. Thank you Denise

I would let them out for supervised "walks" for short periods of times. Definitely leave the coop door open. If you haven't trained them to come for treats, you can begin doing that by giving them treats upon their return to the coop.

Use long sticks spread out in each hand to effectively increase your reach and control while directing the guineas where you want them to go. Slow movements work best as you don't want to startle them into a panic flight. Increase the amount of free time daily but make sure to return them to the coop each time. After a week of supervised free range time you should be able to try some unsupervised outings.

Good luck.

It is very scary letting them out after keeping them safe for so long! We trained ours to come for treats by always making the same call and shaking the container every time we throw them millet. They are not the brightest, but we think they have made the connection, and take notice when we call or shake the millet container. You might try letting out only a few the first few times. They will stay very close, wanting to be back with their pack. We thought they seemed pretty desperate and did not enjoy the experience. You can increase the number you let out each time until you are ready to release the group (it doesn't matter if it is the same birds or not... can't really tell mine apart). But the first time we let the whole pack out, we didn't supervise them and they wandered too far. I would suggest supervising the first time, calling them to you frequently and offering treats, and keeping the outing short to limit their exploring. Our birds seem to stay close if they are only out for a couple of hours, but roam much farther when they have 4+ hours.

This is great advice. One problem is that even when I bring live crickets they just watch them walk away. They do not go after them and eat them. Plus they do not like dried worms or anything. The treat thing does not work.

I've recently been free ranging my 12 week olds. I think treat training really helped keep them near their friends still inside the pen. I would scatter some millet all around the pen and coop and the birds rotated daily to outside never roamed far at all. Now they stay between their pen and our yard. Mine are all still 50/50 interested in bugs, they respond to millet best. Good luck!

Oh jeez! I guess I'm lucky! Our two guineas are 5 months and follow our chickens around!

I had so many warnings about them taking off into the trees, but they roost with my hens in the coop every night. I have no idea what I'd do if they did otherwise. Good luck!!

Ok. so I have let them out twice. They stayed close the first day and the second day the roosters flew over the fence! Then while coaxing them in, the two hens flew on the roof of the house! We were able to get them back in this time for the day. Today is raining. Shall I let them out on rainy days also? Nothing is going according to the books, articles and chat.. I fear I may lose them :( But I cant keep them in a coop forever.

Back
Top Bottom