OK, there has got to be a cheaper way to feed chicks/chickens...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Urbanfarmerkc, Apr 13, 2011.

1. Urbanfarmerkc

Urbanfarmerkc Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Raytown, MO (BY KCMO)
    Ok, here is the deal, I've got several hundred chicks I'm raising out to increase the viability in several of my old breeds. My problem is it costs WAY too much to feed them using feed store feed prices... I've even stooped as low as to feed store hop til I find the bags that have been open to buy on sale...[​IMG]

So, I need advice. What are some cheaper alternatives to feed for chicks and laying hens. I've looked up all the recipes and when I put the math together, it costs more to buy the ingredients than Purina's version.[​IMG]

I can and will happily buy in bulk but don't know from whom I can buy.[​IMG]

Suggestions anyone???

2. TinkleTurkey

TinkleTurkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Palmdale
    I would love to know where one could buy in bulk as well. Maybe someday I'll get a wholesale license and just order a whole pallet hah

3. countrychix

countrychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2010
    Frewsburg, NY
    Do you have a feed mill that you can purchase from? They make their own feeds as well as offering brand names and their versions are up to 50% less costly in my area than the brand name, though in order to enjoy the savings you need to purchase in 100# sacks. Grain prices are awful.

4. Urbanfarmerkc

Apr 10, 2010
    Raytown, MO (BY KCMO)
    Tinkle I thought about that too til my sister who owns a pet grooming shop told me the wholesale isn't much better than the retail prices. Save maybe a dollar and then you have to store it too... Not worth it to me...

I want some significant savings... Like maybe 1/2 of the 14 dollars they want for feed now!!!

5. TinkleTurkey

TinkleTurkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Palmdale
    OK I'll just add FORKLIFT to my list of things I probably need but can't afford at the moment
    haha

6. Reyvaughn

Reyvaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    If you have a gris mill near by, it will save you quite a bit. As a sample, I just got the prices from mine today.

- 50lbs Starter - $10.85
    - 50lbs Grit - $8.95
    - 50lbs Layer (crumb or pellet) - $9.80
    - 80lbs Scratch - $14.90

7. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    I free range my laying hens and that saves a lot of money in feed. I am in the process of making a 10x30 pen for my young (6-16) week old chicks outside.
    I also by feed from a mill.
    22% Chick Starter 50lbs - $11.50
    17% Pellets or Crumbles 50lbs - $10.10
    22% Gamebird 50lbs - $12.00
    Oyster Shell 50lbs - $11.00
    Scratch 50lbs - $9.25
    Chopped Corn 50lbs - $8.75

Compared to Atwoods

21 % Starter 25lbs $9.99
    15% Pellets 40lbs $10.99
    20% Gamebird 40lbs $13.49
    Oyster Shell 5lbs $5.99
    Scratch 40lbs $10.49
    Chopped Corn 40lbs $9.49

As you see it costs more to buy less from a farm store. By buying feed and other supplies from a mill I can save quite a bit in feed costs. My mill also offers better quality feed to. Free range as much as you can helps to!

Nate

8. Urbanfarmerkc

Apr 10, 2010
    Raytown, MO (BY KCMO)
    Ill look for a mill around town... I do free range in my yard but not enough of a yard to make a huge difference. I love japanese beetle time cause that saves TONs of money on protein. I will be putting traps up this year to catch them so I can feed them the bugs instead of them finding them like they usually do. i also heard it was locust year... that'll save some money also! LOL One man's (woman's) blight is another man's glory... [​IMG]
    Dave

9. MeowCluckBark

MeowCluckBark Chicken Lickin' Good

Mar 28, 2011
    Boise, ID
    Thank you for asking this because I never thought to look for the mill here. There is a feed mill just a few miles from me and I saw the address and know right where it is! Looks like I'm going for a field trip. Oddly enough in searching the 4H club just did a tour of it recently, dang we missed out.

10. lady feathers

lady feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2010
    We also buy from a local feed mill our charges $9 for a 50# bag as compared to $13 at our local farm store, unfortunately they don't always have enough on hand... with hundreds to feed make sure to call ahead and pre-order if you can. Ours will make it specifically for your order but they have to have time to do it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by