ok this is not going well

mickeymousears

Songster
8 Years
Apr 29, 2011
SLO; CA
My red hen keeps laying eggs in my bed. Someone on byc suggested locking her in the coop for a few days until she starts laying in her box. I built her a special nesting box this weekend so monday I was determined to solve this problem. However as soon as the egg dance started I was undermined by my husband who said "just give her one last time" so egg in the bed again. Yesterday I was gone all day and I don't think she laid one (is it possible she could hold it til I get home? Because that seems to be the trend). So first thing early this morning I hear the desperation from the coop- my husband let her out and she immediately ran to the bedroom I picked her up and locked her in the coop. Its been over an hour and she is still at the door freaking out. I just put some tomatoes in her box but she was to stressed to care or notice.

On a side note: the other chicken cannot be alone for even a second and she got locked out of the coop- she makes this super loud semi crow call so she got locked in the house with me so we don't make the neighbors angry (who have already called the city on us). I hope this doesn't last much longer cause I have a doc apt in an hour.

We live in the suburbs so everyone is just in a backyard (a california backyard- I know other states have huge yards compaired to cali) and we open the backdoor for air and to let the bunnies go outside. Everyone-besides this chicken- generally stays in their alloted space. This red hen thinks she belongs in the house lounging on the furniture.

Hey, if I was a hen and had access to a nice comfy human bed, you can bet your britches I'd be sneaking in there to lay my eggs too!
lol.png
Maybe get her a fancy dog bed that looks like a human bed and put it in the coop?

I don't think there is much else you can do other than not give in to her. The idea of placing a pillow or doggie bed in her coop may help though.

This is most definitely my husbands pet- she gets his blanket and makes a trench to lay in all you see if her little red comb sticking over the top- she's scared the crap out of me several times cause I didn't even notice her until I almost layed on her. So being the golden child- my husband stole one of the bunny beds and stuck it out there for her. My poor buns are 8 years old- that's like 80 in rabbit years or something. So she has a soft bunny bed -you might call those dog beds. The special box I made her and a big litter pan filled with bunny hay I bought her. And he might have stuck her favorite cardboard box out there- its what she used before she discovered the bed. PLUS since everyone is locked out of the coop she has all the food and water to herself. Poor baby!!
roll.png

So I had to leave- I took the other hen and put her in the coop so she wouldn't scream -of course Red tried to run out the door like an escaped inmate. I then checked the nests (yes plural for one bird) and no egg BUT in the special box I built she had made a nest out of the hay. So I'm breaking her!! He he he

This has to be the funniest problem I've ever read about.
lol.png

I wish you well in getting the problem solved before you lay down and accidentally crush an egg in your bed! EW!

i'm having the same issue (although she's not laying in my bed
smile.png
), with one of my hens. she just started laying the last couple of days and she freaks out if any of the other hens look at her when she's in the laying box. she'll get herself all situated, then if another hen comes in to the coop for any reason she starts yelling and chases them out. then she'll go and lay in the yard somewhere (today she quietly layed right by my foot as i was hanging diapers on the line, so i stepped on it!) i've also tried locking her in until she lays, but she freaks out if there's anyone else in there and it seems to always coincide with another hen's schedule...what to do?? will i just forever be hunting for eggs around my yard?

Back
Top Bottom