Ok to eat eggs from hens eating medicated chick starter?

Jrobb78

Chirping
Nov 8, 2020
Sorry if I missed it, but I’ve been searching and can’t find an answer to this particular question. I have a broody that is hatching eggs today, and I am unsure about feeding the adults the medicated chick starter (the broody and chicks are not segregated from the other 2 hens). I know it’s fine for them, but is it ok for us to eat the eggs from the hens eating it? It’s not the end of the world if we can’t, I only have 2 laying right now, so it’s not a huge waste!

Sorry if I missed it, but I’ve been searching and can’t find an answer to this particular question. I have a broody that is hatching eggs today, and I am unsure about feeding the adults the medicated chick starter (the broody and chicks are not segregated from the other 2 hens). I know it’s fine for them, but is it ok for us to eat the eggs from the hens eating it? It’s not the end of the world if we can’t, I only have 2 laying right now, so it’s not a huge waste!
Medicated Chick Starter contains Amprolium which is just a Coccidiastat, & is safe. There's no egg withdrawal period.

It helps prevent Coccidiosis.

What about hatching those eggs? I've got some adults with babies in with the rest. Can you still incubate these eggs?

What about hatching those eggs? I've got some adults with babies in with the rest. Can you still incubate these eggs?
Yes, you can incubate the eggs. That should be fine.

Note, all the responses in this thread are talking about chick starter that has the medicine amprolium (which is the most common one in the USA at this time.)

The bag should say what medicine is in the feed, so it is a good idea to check. If the medicine is not amprolium, then I suggest you start a new thread and ask about the specific medicine by name, to be sure you get the right answer to your question.

Back
Top Bottom