OK to feed frozen yogurt?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Sunny Side Up, Nov 22, 2011.

1. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    I pulled some 8oz cups of yogurt from the refrigerator to treat the chickens and when I went to pour it in their bowls I found that it was frozen solid (that happens with things kept in the back corner of my refrigerator). The chickens still ate it with relish. One benefit I found to having it frozen was that they didn't make such a mess and waste so much flicking drops of it off their beaks. They would just take neat bites and swallow it all.

Are there any detriments to their health in giving them frozen yogurt? It didn't seem to bother them a bit.

2. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    Apparently it is oky. And it sounds like a great idea for summer time!! Thanks for sharing!

3. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I freeze yogurt in the summertime and they love it.

4. sparrker

sparrker Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2011
    Baldwinsville, NY
    MIne LOOOVE ice cream.
    Patti

5. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    I do quite often! Close to expired or just expired yogurt gets put in my freezer. When frozen I pop the whole block out of the container and the chickens go crazy for it! It is a great summer treat. [​IMG]

But we mindful of using very low to no sugar yogurts.

6. audioguy

audioguy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    Branchburg, NJ
    Think of them as goats with feathers!!

They eat anything I put in front of them. Yesterday I fed them fat free yogurt mixed with leftover mashed potatoes and added in some stale chex mix. They loved it!!

We feed them anything that would normally go into a compost pile, as long as its not spoiled. Pudding, potatoes, mac and cheese, fruits, veggies, chips, pretzles, cheese its, basically anything!!

7. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Oh, that's always the way it is around here. If food isn't suitable for us humans it goes first to the chickens. If it isn't suitable for them either then it goes in the compost pile. If it isn't suitable even for the compost pile only then is it thrown into the trash.

I was mainly concerned that it might adversely affect the chickens to swallow frozen food. Concerned that it might bother their crops or give them ice cream headaches. But it didn't seem to upset them as I observed them that day, and now you all have confirmed my opinion on the matter. Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by