ok to feed twice a day?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by horsefeathers09, Jun 18, 2009.

1. horsefeathers09

horsefeathers09 Songster

Mar 1, 2009
    Phoenix, Arizona
    I'm having a problem with wild birds eating my feed. I have aviary netting over the top of my chicken yard and fencing but they still are getting through it. I don't mind a few, but I'm talking about hundreds! So I'm offering feed in the morning for 1 1/2 hrs and evening for 2 hours - is that ok? It is 110 in the day here, I heard it is better to ease up on feed anyway in extreme temps, true? I have 8 free range chickens in a 25ft X 20ft area. Thanks!

2. pixie74943

pixie74943 Songster

May 25, 2009
    Adelaide, Australia
    sounds good.

You should try and close up the run though.. If wild birds can get in, evil chicken eating critters will be able to as well

3. I agree with pixie. Feeding twice daily is fine and work on the pens when you get a chance.

4. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Songster

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    I feed my chickens twice a day as well. I find it helps cut down on waste. The chickens love to scratch in their food. this way they can't waste as much.

5. espressola

espressola Songster

Feb 19, 2009
    River Pines, CA
    I like to keep food available at all times, but I keep it in the coop- is that an option? I think it is healthier for chickens to eat free-choice...
    Patty N. ;-)

6. Gonzo

Gonzo Songster

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    They'll lot you know when they're hungry, ours were in their playyard yesterday, we could hear them chirpping from inside the house! They were ready to eat! And of course even though they had breakfast, free ranged all day in their area, and had been given snacks by the kids... they still behaved like they haven't been fed for days!I think it was like 6pm! poor babies! (they're ROTTEN!)[​IMG]

7. lunkerchicken

lunkerchicken Songster

I provide food and water both inside and out. I give them access 24/7. How are they getting through the netting? Are there any holes in it? Are they just small birds getting in? I prefer to give them food/water all them time but I wouldn't want the wild birds eating all my food either! That would make me cranky - [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: