ok to keep turning eggs all through hatch?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Ducklove334, May 14, 2009.

1. Ducklove334

Ducklove334 Off to another pond

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    this is somthing I've been wondering, I've heard two sides, some say no, but some say it's ok, momma wouldn't have a timer,

I did good with the three chicks that hatched while turning, but they'd only been in the bator about 5 days, they spent most of the time under a momma hen, until her own eggs hatched.

well, I'm on my three day wait(hatch saturday) with three chicken eggs and 2 mallard eggs), last night I added more water to the channels, and candled one last time. the mallard eggs have grown since monday when I last candled, you can't even see them move anymore, and one of the chicken eggs was REALLY active, thats the FIRST time I've heard a chick peep three days before hatching.

now, I've got some eggs I set of ours on the 6th, and one is just now getting veins, BUT may also be forming a blood ring, I can't tell. but so far it's the only one,

so obviously I can't unplug the turner.

so will they be ok, or should I either take those 5 eggs and stick them under a broody for the next two days, wich risks her pushing them out,or not being able to cover them.

or take the newly veining eggs and put it under a broody until saturday

OR just leave them be and they'll be fine??

P.S I'm on edge, I'm so scared I'll do something to kill them [​IMG]

2. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    I'm not exactly sure what you're asking but if you are saying that the ones that are due to hatch in three days are still in the turner, yes, I would take them out and put them in a hatcher. If you don't have another incubator you can use as a hatcher, I would turn off the turner till they hatch and just hand turn the others till then. You don't want chicks trying to hatch with the turner going.

3. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    I would say that it depends on how you're turning. The automatic turners leave them upright and they can hatch with them, as long as they don't pip funny and try to pip where the racks are. However, if you're hand turning, I wouldn't even attempt it.

4. lotzahenz

lotzahenz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    I was also wondering if anyone left the eggs in the turner and how the hatch went? I have ONE turkey egg left in the bator and really need to set my newly purchased eggs tomorrow. Will the turkey be ok? I may have to chance it anyway.

5. Backyard Farm

Backyard Farm Certified Personal Chicken Attendant

Apr 1, 2009
    I saw at least one person say that they had accidently left the turner on and the chicks hatched just fine.

me ...personally... I would turn off the turner on day 19 and hand turn... but maybe only twice per day when the babies were hatching so the bator wasn't opened too much while hatching.

interesting question...

6. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    I accidentally had a hatch of buttons in the 1588's turners, while I had other eggs in there. I didn't increase the humidity (they hatched earlier than expected). I was actually opening the bator to move them to the hatcher and had a bunch of them scatter. I intentionally left my last batch of coturnix in there, and they did fine as well. I wouldn't let other eggs in the bator for a hatch more than once (don't have two sets hatching while the other set is incubating), but one hatch doesn't seem to bother the other eggs. I won't do it again though. The buttons were very clean, but the coturnix icked up the 1588 and I can't break it apart to clean it because I've had an unending supply of eggs going in it. Maybe once my showgirls and the local lady's bantam EE's hatch, and I start shipping out my birds' eggs, then I can break it down to wash it up. That thing has been going for a few months straight now though...

7. Ducklove334

Ducklove334 Off to another pond

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    well, I left the turner on, the turner keeps the eggs upright, aircell at the top, I have a duck egg pipping, the chicken eggs and other duck egg are rocking away.

8. Peeper7

Peeper7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    Northeast Ohio
    Am new to hatching so I may be full of c_ _ p but my turner got stuck somehow recently -- I think it was not sitting exactly straight and level in the bator-- and it stuck in the tilted position.
    I just turned the eggs while they were sitting in the turner so that the opposite side was leaning.
    I think if I had to hatch in there I would turn off the turner and hand turn through the hatch.
    Keep in mind that your temp may drop if you turn off the turner because that little motor generates heat.
    Good luck![​IMG]

9. nhnanna

nhnanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    The chicken coop
    I would put the new eggs under the broody and let the others hatch in the bator. Every time you open the cover to turn the other eggs you are letting out the humidity and chance shrinkwrapping. That is why they tell you to sit on your hands the last three days and not open the cover. That is just my opinion though. I wouldn't chance it. Good luck.

10. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    those turners turn so slowly that it does not matter if they are left on.

I have purposely left the turners on and it made no difference in the outcome of the hatch.

last year I hatched out 300-plus eggs in two bators this way..

what you have to do is time your sets so that they do not interfere with your hatches.. then you can open the bator to get the hatched chicks out..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by