OK to put the coop where there was a dog run?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by MommyMagpie, Jan 22, 2012.

1. MommyMagpie

MommyMagpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Salem/Jarvisville, WV
    We're moving soon, and of course the chickens are moving too. My fiance told me he heard you're not supposed to put a chicken coop/run in a place where there's been a dog run (as in, doggie doodoo), so I thought I'd come here and ask y'all. Is it OK to put a coop and/or run where the dog was, considering there has been dog urine and feces there that has leached into the ground for a while. He doesn't want my chickens to get sick or anything, and neither do I!

Thanks in advance!

2. ontimeborzoi

ontimeborzoi Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2008
    Northern Neck of Va
    Build a box around the run out of 1 x 6's or 2x 6's, fill with three or four inches of clean course sand or fine gravel. Easy to clean, drains well, chicken friendly.

3. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    One other thing I would consider that I have seen a real problem with is a flea infestation in the pen area. If you do intend to put the run in that area I would treat the ground before I did anything else.

Many years ago I went to look at an old farm house to buy and just walk past an old dog pen area. In seconds I was covered if flea. Needless to say I stripped and picked fleas for an hour. I know why dogs act the way they do not.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by