Ok, You can see it, but promise not to laugh....

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by rebbetzin, Aug 27, 2010.

1. rebbetzin

rebbetzin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Tucson AZ
    Next week I plan to get some new chicks. But, I can't put them in with my two remaining hens until they are bigger.

After checking prices at Home Depot and Lowe's, I was kind of discouraged about building a new coop and run area. So, I came home, and I have wracked my brain to think of where I can house them until then. Looking around my yard and using my imagination, I think I have solved my problem.

I have a raised bed that is about 6ft by 10ft. It is covered with chicken wire, to keep the birds out. But, the past few years that bed doesn't get enough sun to really grow much but lettuce in there.
    Here is what I came up with for a new enclosure for my chicks, without spending any money!!

Side view

[​IMG]

View from front

[​IMG]

Since my grandchildren are now in Missouri, I don't have much use for the play structure in my yard. So, it is now going to be a "coop" of sorts.

[​IMG]

Next week, I will cover the open area above the "coop"with some vinyl I found at a discount fabric store for $2.99 a yard. That will make it waterproof over the "coop" area and help retain some heat at night, and hopefully keep it cooler during the day.

Anyway, that is my plan... What do you think??

2. scbatz33

scbatz33 No Vacancy, Belfry Full

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    Looks pretty darn good. Way to recycle!!

3. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

looks like a good spot for it, but I'm afraid you'll be likely to have trouble w/ raccoons & opossums because chicken wire will NOT keep them out. See if you can get the 1/2" (small square) welded wire mesh and wrap your entire enclosure in it. Chicken wire will keep your chickens in, but won't keep predators OUT. Otherwise, the location looks good w/ shade for your babies. [​IMG]

4. rcentner

rcentner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    You must post video of the chicks using the slide! sorry, not laughing at the coop, just the idea of chickens using a slide and what that would look like. [​IMG]

Ingenious! I love the cost too, just my price!

5. Scoop

Scoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2009
    Central PA
    Dang it! I just love that! Great job! [​IMG]

6. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    Hey, it doesn't have to be pretty! It's actually a pretty nice set-up for zero dollars!

7. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Medford, Oregon
    That looks really nice, but I'd be awake all night worried about preditors getting through that chicken wire.

8. rebbetzin

Apr 4, 2008
    Tucson AZ
    Quote:Well, I haven't seen any preditors in my yard ever, except a few cats here and there, but with Spartacus, not many other beasties come around our place. I live in the center of a city, and have a 6 to 8 ft fence around my yard. we do have the a few hawks now and then. My regular chicken run is 1/2 inch hardware cloth, on all sides and on top. I may put a 24 inch high second layer of chicken wire around the bottom of this, with the openings off set so it will have smaller holes.

9. rebbetzin

Apr 4, 2008
    Tucson AZ
    Quote:I rigged up some branches, and a sawed up old wooden chair for them to "play" on... I figure they might be able to get to the top of the play structure. It would be funny to see them sliding down the slide. I have seen goats going up and down a slide.

10. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
    I'm not laughing, I'm a big fan of using salvage materials scrounged up from various sources. I've been "field engineering" stuff for years.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by