Okay a really stupid cooking question. ***Update Help***

Thanks, I want to make apple butter and salsa. How would I can something like that?

make it and put in clean sterilized jars and can for ten minutes. hope your not mixing them that combo would be a sign of pregnancy crazy craven lol.

Last edited:
Okay I have a problem. I have been cooking my apple butter overnight in my crock like the recipe called for but it also says it will get thick and mine still has apple pieces and is runny! What did I do wrong? Help!!!

Oh and I am using a water bath canner! Can I can salsa using that, and I thought it would be good for the apple butter, was I right?

DSCN0741.jpg

Here is a pic so someone can tell me if it looks right.

Okay thanks, I am freaking out, never done this before. (Making apple butter or canning anything!) There is a first for everything.

Every batch comes out different...it usually depends on the fruit...every season has differences. Some seasons are perfect...others not so...just look for the best fruit of the season and CAN CAN CAN. I usually go to U pick farms and pick all my berries...last year I did a HOMEMADE Xmas challenge so I shipped a TON of Jelly!...made like 10 batches of flavors!

Jellies I've made over the years...I usually make Jelly...straining everything out...except for Blueberry...I make that in jam form.
Strawberry
Peach
Raspberry
Red Currant / Pomegrante (the poms are very juicy and you need to pair them with another berry...they do not set up otherwise)
CONCORD Grape (last season was so wonderful...I'm still coveting the last jar)
Apple Butter/Cider Jelly (we have an old hand crank apple press and usually make apple cider)
Blueberry Jam

I use cheese cloth to strain all seeds off the juice...our family LOVES the beautiful colors...like little JEWELS in the jars.

Picking SEASON is just starting here in New England....below is the picking/seasonal order.
Strawberries Late June
Raspberries July 4th and after
Red Currants July 4th and after
Blueberries Late July Early August
Peaches/Plus Late August Early September
and last but not LEAST apples!! ALL fall!!

Well I am happy I am getting ready to start boiling the water to can my apple butter. The recipe doesn't say how long to leave it in the boiling water to seal properly any suggestions?

If you have a stick blender you can pulse those apple pieces in the crockpot and puree them for your applebutter. Don't throw them out. They will probably mash up with a fork very easily as well.

Quote:
TRUE...you could puree them...or FEED them to the CHICKENS!! That is where all my processsed fruit goes after jelly making!

Here is a table I found online...it is different for every fruit.

Processing Times For High-Acid Foods Using A Boiling Water Bath Canner (212° F)

Fruits & Vegetables Pints Quarts
Apples (hot pack)*** 20 minutes 20 minutes
Apricots (raw pack)*** 25 30
Berries (raw pack) 15 20
Cherries (raw pack) 20 25
Dill Pickles (raw pack) 10 15
Sweet Pickles (raw pack) 10 15
Fruit Juices (hot pack) 15 15
Fruit Jams and Jellies 10 10
Peaches (hot pack) 20 25
Pears (hot pack) 20 25
Plums (hot pack) 20 25