Okay give layer feed to 16 week old chickens?

True for most of the country, but in SoCal they probably won't wait too long. You said your first flock started laying in December at 5 to 6 months old correct?

I'm on the central Ca coast and my birds don't even seem to notice winter as just getting a bit of frost fr rare here.

True for most of the country, but in SoCal they probably won't wait too long. You said your first flock started laying in December at 5 to 6 months old correct?

I'm on the central Ca coast and my birds don't even seem to notice winter as just getting a bit of frost fr rare here.
They did but I added light to the coop.
It isn't about temperature at all. It is about daily light period vis a vis dark period. Whether one is increasing or decreasing.
I spent one whole winter documenting daily high and low temperatures, precipitation and egg production. Then I graphed them all. There was zero correlation between temperature and egg laying. They laid the same at temps below zero as they did at 40F.

You started getting eggs well after winter solstice.
I wouldn't expect eggs from any breed at 19 weeks when they reach that age during the shortest days of the year. Under ideal conditions, it still takes some weeks of increasing day length for it to have an impact on production.
Actually our first egg came from a Wy at 5 1/2 months and of 15 chickens 4 were laying by the end of December 2 Wy's and 2 Rocks. By the end of Feb they were all laying. Since then we have had 2 different hatches of Wy's which I have kept 8 girls and 5 of those 8 started at 18 to 20 weeks the last 3 came in at 22 weeks. It is my experience that the Wyandottes start at or around 19 weeks. The other breeds in my flock took longer, Rocks next, Jerseys, then Orpingtons. The one heritage Orp I have took 35 weeks, so there is a big variance among the breeds. Also you live farther north than I do and my daylight hours are longer than what you experience, plus morning coop lights...so winter solstice had nothing to do with my egg production IMO

I think it is perfectly fine if you give them layer feed it won't kill them I just think that you shouldn't give layer feed to baby chicks.

Your right, I didn't think to ask if OP was using additional lighting. But anyways, between 16 and 20 weeks is typically when you start switching over to a layer as they need some extra calcium built up in their systems for producing strong eggshells. Also some oyster shell on the side is recommended as well. However as previously mentioned weather and breed can affect this. Leghorns and hybrids are typically earlier than the heritage breeds.

What brand are you going to be feeding? I started using a small local mill and after having issues with soft shell eggs and no shell eggs I switched to Purina which I have had great success with. But lately I have been checking out Nutrina and like the probiotics and prebiotics they use. Particularly the Hearty Hen soy free 18% protein. Its cheaper than the Purina Omege Plus I have been using, no soy, and 2% more protein. Anybody try this yet?

If I had a flock of birds all the same age and approaching POL, I might start transitioning to layer feed but at this time of year, I would also start extending day length with artificial light so their production begins commensurately.
That's exactly the way commercial egg farms do it.

Your right, I didn't think to ask if OP was using additional lighting. But anyways, between 16 and 20 weeks is typically when you start switching over to a layer as they need some extra calcium built up in their systems for producing strong eggshells. Also some oyster shell on the side is recommended as well. However as previously mentioned weather and breed can affect this. Leghorns and hybrids are typically earlier than the heritage breeds.

What brand are you going to be feeding? I started using a small local mill and after having issues with soft shell eggs and no shell eggs I switched to Purina which I have had great success with. But lately I have been checking out Nutrina and like the probiotics and prebiotics they use. Particularly the Hearty Hen soy free 18% protein. Its cheaper than the Purina Omege Plus I have been using, no soy, and 2% more protein. Anybody try this yet?

No plans on using additional lighting.

I'm feeding Scratch and Peck Feeds brand, so organic, whole-grains. It's pricey, but you really can see the difference. It probably isn't much different from "human quality" grain. They now probably eat healthier than our family does. :)

I ended up just starting the girls with the layer (16%), but I blended it with 1/3rd of some 22% poultry starter (unmedicated) I had left over. This should still boost the protein level for the next month and dilute the calcium by a third.

Back
Top Bottom