Okay. Here is my coop design idea. Feedback welcome!

FreedomLover

Songster
11 Years
Feb 27, 2010
Romance
My DH and I plan on keeping chickens for eggs and growing out meat chickens. This won't happen soon (as explained in my intro post) but I want to hammer out details ahead of time and possibly start construction of the coop early instead of waiting til the last minute. That being said, here are my ideas.

We plan on starting small as far as the number of chickens goes. 6 layers and 1 rooster. However since we do plan on eventually growing out some chicks I want to make sure I have plenty of coop space in the beginning. To save on lumber I want to stick with 4 and 8 foot dimensions. My thought is to build an 8'x12' coop. At 4 sf per chicken that would allow a max of 24 chickens.

Now, I know I'm going to need storage space for feed etc, so would it be best to build seperate storage next to the coop or should I just add an extra 8' to the length? Or should I just use part of the coop itself?

I'd like to keep all the chickens together once we do start breeding but is that a good idea? I know having multiple roosters in the same coop can cause issues.

One thing I've been thinking is to seperate the coop into 8'x4' sections (three of them) use one for storage, use one for the original flock and use the last one for growing out? Maybe have one of the partitions be "adjustable"?

As far as run space .. Initially we plan on using a run until the chickens are used to going into the coop every night and eventually allowing them to free range on our three acres. Wing clipping will probably be in order to keep them on our property but that's a diff topic. I know a min of 10 sf is required for a run but theats no problem. I can eventually turn that into a rabbit run (the materials).

Anyway those are some of my ideas. Am I on the right path?

Last edited:
I like your ideas.
thumbsup.gif

I would suggest to build separate space for storage.
One thing I've been thinking is to seperate the coop into 8'x4' sections (three of them) use one for storage, use one for the original flock and use the last one for growing out? Maybe have one of the partitions be "adjustable"?

That is a reasonabile idea.
Your setup sounds great. Now you need to take some paper and do a little drawing and come post pics.​

I'll have to see what I can do about a drawing since we're on the road. Might try and scetch something up and take a pic with my iPhone lol

Went and sketched up a design and don't you know I can't upload pics from my iPhone to the image area on the forum!
barnie.gif

Oh and after doing several different sketches I came to realize something. I needed to design a BIGGER coop to meet my needs .... err .... WANTS for the perfect coop! Hope my DH doesn't
smack.gif
me!!! lol

Tenative final design is 16' x 12' with the left side walled/partitioned off to create a 5' x 7' area. This area will be accessed by a screen door that will be built into the partition section.

The nest boxes (2 of them 18" x 18") will be 12" from the floor and protrude into my storage area so as not to take up any interior coop space.

Two 5' long roosts at the opposite end of the area will be placed at heights of 24" and 36" and spaced 1' apart. (is that far enough apart?) There will also be a 3' long cleanout door behind where the roosts are mounted. I also plan on adding poop boards (those are such an awesome idea!).

The pop door will be 18" square and located along the long wall approximately 1' from the roosts.

I plan on leaving the remaining space open until it is needed.

Once we get home in a couple weeks I'll do some sketch-up plans and post those.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom