Okay, is it "Large Fowl" or "Standard"

Which terminology is correct for a normal sized chicken versus a bantam?

• Large Fowl

Votes: 5 100.0%
  • Standard

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

CluckyCharms

Songster
7 Years
Sep 28, 2012
Missouri, but Montana in my dreams
My Coop
My Coop
I keep seeing posts saying "standard chicken", "standard rooster", "standard hen". It's confusing the heck out of me, because when I first arrived here and called them that, I was immediately told (mostly by people who were very nice about it) that a "standard" chicken does not exist in regard to size; they are either large fowl or they are bantam, nothing else. I was then told that the only time a chicken (be it hen or rooster) should be referred to with the word "standard" is when you're discussing the Standard of Perfection (SOP) in regard to that chicken...OR when you're referring to the "standard varieties" within that breed. Example: "Buff is a standard variety of Brahma."

However, I keep seeing "standard" here more and more when referring to size...so which is it please? Is "standard" correct or is "large fowl" correct and if "large fowl" is correct why not type LF instead of "standard"
hu.gif

I know...pretty petty thing to be concerned with, but if I'm going to raise chickens I want to refer to them correctly.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
It's the same thing... Large fowl being more proper and Standard the layman's term. Many people do not know what LF means.

In my circle of chicken owners, everyone says "standard" so that is what I say. If it weren't for boards like this, I wouldn't think twice about it. I would venture to guess that the two are interchangeable for the most part, but may depend on to whom you are speaking. I would think that "large fowl" is always going to be correct, but "standard" could possibly mean something different if you are speaking to breeders or plan on showing the bird (just a guess). As with many things, the words you choose may change based on your audience.

FWIW, I see "standard" used most of the time on the posts I have seen. However, that may be due to the fact that I am new to this and am not looking at the more "advanced" posts. Up until recently if someone had put the acronym "LF" I wouldn't know what they meant and would have had to look it up. That may also be why I do not see it used as much.

Back
Top Bottom