Okay on the subject of flax seed

Peaguy

Songster
12 Years
Apr 23, 2007
May,Texas
Being here in Texas where healthy/food is a forbidden subject and apparently where it is just too toasty for Flax to grow.... I have a few questions on feeding flax to my birds, before the expense of shipping some in.
I am aware of the fact that one must keep the amount fed to a minimum or risk flavoring the very eggs we all wish to improve.
That said
feeding a flock of 36, with only about 17 layers right now but due to increase, almost double within the next few months.
Only finding "reasonable" coff coff prices when buying small bags such as 3-12# size
Keeping to the "under 10%" rule how long would I reasonable be able to expect a, say 12# bag to last?
Would it really justify the $50.00 to get it here?
Are there other alternatives?
Anyone with advice on Chia Seed? Have seen in my research on the net that it is actually better for the Omega 3's I am looking to improve.
Any advice on Chia for Chickens? good idea, bad? or just don't even go there?
My best egg customer has just recently been through a triple bypass and is under doctor's orders to increase her Omega 3 intake as well as her Lutein intake, Have already got a great start with a planter FULL of Marigolds growing very well after the rains we have had recently.
Anyone with any advice out there?
This unhealthy redneck needs all the help he can get!
wink.png
tongue.png
he.gif
hide.gif

Thanks Rendon!
You know from a fellow Fort Worthian, it is okay to go ahead and say your from Rendon... Ft. Worth hasn't quit incorporated that far yet have they?
Grew up south side, 820 and Crowley Road.

Last edited:
Hmmmmmmm...........well, I have no clue (now wasn't THAT helpful).
smile.png
sorry.
smile.png
I know I eat a lot of stuff with flaxseed in it but as far as buying for and feeding it to the chickens, I just don't know.

What is this about the flock DOUBLING??????? If you told me that I forgot!!!
th.gif
(my brain has been on long term vacation so it is entirely possible).

Last edited:
my "BABIES" are almost 18 weeks now! Of the 23 I have 16 left add those to the layer group (19) and poof! Of course wouldn't you know I added two ( I think) roos as well so that makes 4 so need more hens! (It's an evil evil cycle! Now I know how hatcheries get repeat business! Throw in a couple really cute roos!)(think I got 1 BSL (positive on this one. Eva has become Evan) and 1 EE (Still undecided) to go with the RIR and the SLP!

LOL.....well, if you need any more roos to add to that, I have a bunch of extras right now!!!! LOL Then you would need even MORE hens!!! Then have a hen or two go broody (I do right now OMG) and you would need more!!!!
smile.png

Flax seed is used in poultry diets once it has been milled into a meal ... feeding raw flax seed is something I would not personally choose to do based on the information here:
http://animalscience.ucdavis.edu/avian/pfs21.htm
"....Flaxseed may be processed by mechanical expellers or solvent extraction and the residual linseed meal is available as an animal feed ingredient. Linseed meal is an important feedstuff for cattle but its use in poultry feeds is limited.

Flaxseed contains a cyanide containing glucoside, linamarin, which releases hydrogen cyanide under acidic, moist conditions in the presence of an enzyme, linase. Under normal processing conditions involving high temperature treatment, linase is destroyed so that the subsequent release of hydrogen cyanide is not a problem. ....."

See this site for a supplement specifically for poultry (pass the cost on to your customer)...
http://www.enrecoanimalnutrition.com/retail/

Last edited:
I have been feeding my hens 1 Tablespoon of Flax seed twice a week for a year with problems. They are healthy and happy. I give them a chicken Salad daily with left overs, veggies cooked or not along with peelings chopped up, and Millet seed. Twice aweek adding Flax. It is more expensive than other seeds so I don't add it daily.

Try Bulk Foods.com to keep your costs down. I also use Flax seed whole or ground (coffee Grinder) in my breads that I bake. I use about 5 pounds every 3 months. I send out an order 2-3 times a year. $5.00 Shipping if your order is large enough. Check it out.

Flax Seeds will keep for a year stored in glass. You could break it down into smaller packages and freeze.

OH, ya I have 45 plus hens and chicks running around here right now. To many in this heat.

Yes, the little chicks get oatmeal, millet and flax for a morning treat.

I have been feeding Flax seed and Flax meal to my chickens for over a year now. I feed all grains and seldom do my birds eat any processed pellets. I feed the Flax to them about 4 times a week and they usually will let me know if they need it in their diet. I just put some in my hand and offer it to the approximately 200 laying birds here and if they eat it I mix it with their grain that day, if they don't then I leave it out. I am a full time chicken farmer so my mileage may vary from other people's.
hu.gif

I know several of my egg customer's are telling me their blood work is coming back better this year than it ever has so I encourage more egg eating!
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom