Okay Tadkerson and Krys, Breeding Red Orps, Info needed

Quote:
Buckeyes would muddle the combs because the pea comb is dominate to single comb in most instances. That could be fixed by selective breeding though.

The buckeye body type leans towards being more closely feathered than fluff, size is about the same.

Isn't Miss Prissy working on Red Orps too? She's using her buff/blue mixed orp roo, who feathered out a nice red color.

Would using black darken the red?

Last edited by a moderator:
Knowing that the Germans used RIR to make their lovely Red Orps. I started with good dark exhibition RIR & had good colour from the first cross. Obviously had to work on type. The biggest trouble is keeping black out of tail & flights.
In Britain we had German import Red Orps, pretty nice birds, type was generally good but the shade of red variable as was size & there was sometimes the black in tail & flights.
I believe Li (light down) is a restrictor of black. Where can I find more info on Li?
Thanks

Not to hijack (which of course, precedes a hijacking), but Hubs and I were wondering what we'd wind up with, appearance-wise, if we allow some of our Buff Orp hens to hatch eggs sired by coppered black Marans roosters. We're thinking, at this point, that we'll only have one breed of rooster on the place.

We do have DARK red, almost black, RIR here in the US and some hatcheries do have them as well. It might be worthwhile getting into that color mindful of the black tints that will show up. After a few generations, you should be able to get what you want.

Krys, what would you cross the RIR with color wise? Would you use a Black orp Cock over a RIR hen or the other way around? Or would you use Buff color and line breed back. I have some really dark exhibition RIR's. They are large too. My RIR cock is very large. What would suggested first cross be?

Quote:
Bama,

This project will take a few years.

If you use black birds, then you will have to battle smut or black in the red feathering.

If you use buff, you will have to work to breed out the red diluters from the offspring.

Rhode island red (RIR)X buff orpington (BO) crossing = will produce birds that are a color in between the red and buff. Most likely a redish color similar to a new hampshire. The offspring will all have white skin with white shanks and feet.

This first cross will produce offspring that carry 1/2 of the genes from the RIR and 1/2 of the genes from the BO. Body type normally falls in between the two breeds. You could get birds that look more orpington and birds that look RIR. My crosses with orpington tended to be orpington like but yours may be different.

An important gene that you want in the offspring is mahogany and that should not be a problem the BO and RIR both have mahogany. There are genes in the BO that dilute the red color. It is the diluting genes that you will have to breed out of the offspring.

If the offspring from the first cross have good body type, cross two of the darkest red colored siblings. You will have to hatch a good number of birds to get the right combination of genes to produce a red bird with white skin, white shanks and feet. I would hatch at least thirty birds.

If the offspring from the first cross have bad body type then you will have to back cross to the BO. Then select for body type from the back cross offspring while selecting for the darkest red birds with white skin and shank. You will mate these birds and again produce around thirty birds.

Then pick the best birds from the last cross and cross them. You should get some birds that are close to your goal.

Tim

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom