Okra

Carymcmillin

Chirping
Jul 11, 2020
Michigan
Raising Okra in Michigan has many challenges but this morning has me stumped. Something has eaten the top leaves completely. This has happened in one night. I have a fence that is dug in for ground hogs. An electric fence for deer. Chicken wire for rabbits. I always expect something new but what ever it was did not tough the beans, cabbage, peas, corn, etc. Only the okra???
Any help would be appreciated?
PS. No animal tracks.

Raising Okra in Michigan has many challenges but this morning has me stumped. Something has eaten the top leaves completely. This has happened in one night. I have a fence that is dug in for ground hogs. An electric fence for deer. Chicken wire for rabbits. I always expect something new but what ever it was did not tough the beans, cabbage, peas, corn, etc. Only the okra???
PS. No animal tracks.
This has been happening to my okra a lot this season. For me it's usually deer, but most recently it was hornworms. They can be huge and can be hard to notice because of their color. In Texas and we've had a bumper year for all caterpillars and worms.

PS. No animal tracks.
Earworms.

Attachments

• 20210710_110004.jpg
    20210710_110004.jpg
    604.9 KB · Views: 4
This has been happening to my okra a lot this season. For me it's usually deer, but most recently it was hornworms. They can be huge and can be hard to notice because of their color. In Texas and we've had a bumper year for all caterpillars and worms.
No deer tracks. Rabbits would usually go after the beans or cabbage. No holes in leaves. Entire tops have been eaten. I suspect a small animal but can't understand why the okra only.

Attachments

• 20210710_110004.jpg
    20210710_110004.jpg
    604.9 KB · Views: 4
So have had this happen to your okra?
I haven't grown okra in yrs, and I really don't remember it having many pests, as one of the articles I read stated. Ear/hornworms leaves & fruit, Japanese beetles & aphids the sap. If there's more than one, and there usually is, yes. If you aren't opposed to chemicals, powder Sevin. If you are, Diatomaceous earth. I had great success using a Maggie's Farm spray made from essential oils last year. But everything smelled like thyme. 😁

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom