Olandsk Dwarf Chickens

Just got a call from the kids at home, three are on their way out! My 12 yo daughter is sitting there watching, WOW, something more interesting than doing her homework in front of the TV, wonderful. 5 more minutes at work and I'm on my way home to watch myself!

Thanks Herducks, I already intended to wait. My oh so busy life allows me more patience than I used to have. Pics coming, hoping the little critters make it!

That's wonderful!

Chick number 1 was out by the time I got home from work! Calling he/she "Sunset." Chick 2 hatched overnight (Moonshine). Chick 3 zipped and hatched fast this morning while we were getting ready for the day (lickety). Chick 4 had zipped during the night and was still working on getting out (poky if he/she makes it). Chick 5 had pipped, don't thing egg 6 was showing signs but there may have been rocking. The kids and I are thrilled and fascinated,even DH went into the office 1st thing this morning to see what had happened :) What a wonderful experience and to have our 1st hatch be such a rare "breed" (landrace and all) is spectacular! Special thanks to Cheryl!

Chick number 1 was out by the time I got home from work! Calling he/she "Sunset." Chick 2 hatched overnight (Moonshine). Chick 3 zipped and hatched fast this morning while we were getting ready for the day (lickety). Chick 4 had zipped during the night and was still working on getting out (poky if he/she makes it). Chick 5 had pipped, don't thing egg 6 was showing signs but there may have been rocking. The kids and I are thrilled and fascinated,even DH went into the office 1st thing this morning to see what had happened :) What a wonderful experience and to have our 1st hatch be such a rare "breed" (landrace and all) is spectacular! Special thanks to Cheryl!
Congratulations!
woot.gif
That's a really neat picture.

All six hatched! Pics coming when everyone dries off. On another note, how many of you are breeding these chickens? How do you manage diversity. I have to wonder if, as reported on the Greenfire website, there were at one time just 54 of these in the world, is there enough diversity in these guys? Or is the diversity inherent because they are a land race.

If anyone wants to discuss their breeding strategy for Olandsk dwarf chickens feel free. I like to strategize and work a puzzle out even if I never proceed to implement it. In the mean time, I can enjoy the good fortune of having 6 of 7 eggs hatch.

If anyone wants to discuss their breeding strategy for Olandsk dwarf chickens feel free. I like to strategize and work a puzzle out even if I never proceed to implement it. In the mean time, I can enjoy the good fortune of having 6 of 7 eggs hatch.
I am also very interested in knowing about this. I have 6+ eggs on the way from a rarebreedauctions.com auction I won. Still waiting for enough eggs before they get shipped, but I am excited! I am very glad to have this breed in my flock, assuming all the stars align and they all hatch! We shall see, but I am right there with you celticgarden, I would also like to know about maintaining this breed and introducing diversity. My eggs are GreenFire line but if I plan to possibly breed later on, how do I find the right birds to keep things going in a healthy way? I have plenty of experience with dogs and specifically German Shepherd Dogs, but I feel like chickens are a whole other world in regards to breeding.

Cheers everyone and HAPPY CHICKENS!

Morning guys....since there are so few of the Olandsk running around in the states and since the core birds were brought in by Greenfire..not sure about diversity of the breed at this time..but that said, hatching babies and picking the best to keep breeding would seem the only way to get the better from these guys...I would like to offer interchanging eggs between some of the olandsk breeders.,..bird for bird or egg for egg..shipped to diversify what we each have in our small flocks.. just a thought...I have eggs and chicks available for a straight up swap if that seems possible..
as a side note...the chicks I have at this time kind of baffled me..with the pair that I have and the babies they produced thus far..none of the babies coloring is the same...more black in some more red in some..I was expecting..more even consistency

Back
Top Bottom