Olandsk Dwarf Chickens

A question. My little flock of chicks are running away from human contact. They crowd together in the corner of their brooder when I go to change the water or feed. Not sure if now is the time to start enticing them with treats or wait a bit. They seem adamant that humans are evil. I kind of think it's the age. My other hens learned eventually as they grew that people=food. While I never convinced them to love being handled I would prefer the Olandsk dwarfs to be OK with it. Advice welcome.

Linda

My chicks did that. They're pretty good now that they're older since they know I'm the food source, but I've not found the Dwarfs to be as friendly as our chocolate English Orps. Actually, I've never known any chickens to be as friendly as they are.

I finally got my eggs! I let them rest and have then in the incubator now. Had to use wax to repair a bad crack on one egg. I was not pleased at all with the packaging. But we will see how they do.
smile.png

What was the packaging, if you don't mind me asking. I try to mail ours packed well and am always wondering how I can improve.

Hi everyone.
I'm new to this thread. I would like to get some ODs but wondering how well they are laying at this time of the year(December). When were they born... Spring, last year... Do they molt quickly. How well do they get along with large fowl flocks?

Our Dwarfs usually lay 5 or so times a week. The wet weather makes them slower, but when it's sunny (even though it's not quite "warm") they'll lay almost every day.

I've not seen a molt yet, so I wouldn't know about that.

The adults are housed by themselves, but the chicks are in the brooder with other LF chicks that are older and bigger and there seems to be no problem. In fact, the older ones protect them from me when I go into the brooder :)

*note to self... I'm in the presence of enablers...*

~ Aspen
I know a good source for you, lady!

They're the same size as the smallest Seramas I had.

Our Dwarfs usually lay 5 or so times a week. The wet weather makes them slower, but when it's sunny (even though it's not quite "warm") they'll lay almost every day.

I've not seen a molt yet, so I wouldn't know about that.

The adults are housed by themselves, but the chicks are in the brooder with other LF chicks that are older and bigger and there seems to be no problem. In fact, the older ones protect them from me when I go into the brooder :)

Is Green Fire Farms the only place to find good stock for ODs? I want to start a breeding flock but I want to be sure I have lots of diversification if possible. I know that can be difficult for a breed that has so very few in the world, but I want to do my best to create a strong, healthy, and standard OD. Thanks!

Welcome!
As far as I can tell all OD chickens in the US are from Greenfire stock. That being said, they are a landrace so I interpret that to mean genetic diversity is inherent in the stock. That also means there is no standard. Perhaps those folks on the thread who have been selling hatching eggs might comment on how they are working on selection and diversity.

I was just down tending my 1 month old OD chicks. They wake up full of piss and vinegar, flying and sparring, lots of energy! they chatter all day long too.

Is Green Fire Farms the only place to find good stock for ODs? I want to start a breeding flock but I want to be sure I have lots of diversification if possible. I know that can be difficult for a breed that has so very few in the world, but I want to do my best to create a strong, healthy, and standard OD. Thanks!
We all have good stock for Olandsk Dwarfs. As far as I know, Green Fire farms is the only one that has imported them.

Back
Top Bottom