Old abandoned Coop pic

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by shirky, Jan 18, 2010.

1. shirky

shirky New Egg

Sep 9, 2009
    Portland, Oregon
    I find myself looking around for coops and noticing them more often. I ran into this old coop just a few miles North of Sedona, Arizona while hiking on The West Fork Trail, just a 1/4 mile from the parking lot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I bet that was one amazing coop when it was up and running! To bad it is in the condition it's in now. [​IMG]

3. BellLisamo

BellLisamo Diagnosed w/ Muscovitis

Feb 7, 2009
    Tombstone, AZ
    Wow, i wonder what its story is... thats one cool coop

4. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    I need those nesting boxes! [​IMG]

5. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    That is very cool! It really takes you back. Every time I see an old abandoned home or farm building I always try to imagine what the peoples lives were like. All the babies born in those shacks, all the tough winters (in Montana) and the dreams that were dreamt. Around here they just leave them standing in the fields and farm right around them until they fall down.

6. ducks4you

ducks4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    East Central Illinois
    Don't you LOVE the brick work?!?!!! [​IMG]

7. Serrin

Serrin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh wow! Totally neato!! How many girls do you suppose they had? That's a lot of nest boxes in there! We have a couple of old abandoned homesteads out here too, complete with barns and separate coops. The next time I'm out that direction, I'll see if I can get some pictures of that coop and add it to yours. It would be very interesting to see other abandoned coops from around the country. Some of those old settlers had some great ideas!

8. specklesmom

specklesmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Texas
    Very interesting. It would be great to see photos of other old hen houses/coops! Now we will all be on the lookout..... I love the little door; those bricks certainly would have kept out predators.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by