Old Drake Losing Feathers

Kangasox

Songster
9 Years
Feb 27, 2015
I've somehow missed this (though I know he's been looking better more recently than not), but my oldest drake (he's 9) is looking rough, losing feathers, don't seem to be more coming in, somewhat flaky skin, maybe itchy?, and he's lost weight. The loss is across his back, under wings, some on his face. I don't know how I didn't notice, and I've never had a duck with a skin issue like this before, but not sure what to do?
1000047009.jpg
1000047011.jpg

I've somehow missed this (though I know he's been looking better more recently than not), but my oldest drake (he's 9) is looking rough, losing feathers, don't seem to be more coming in, somewhat flaky skin, maybe itchy?, and he's lost weight. The loss is across his back, under wings, some on his face. I don't know how I didn't notice, and I've never had a duck with a skin issue like this before, but not sure what to do? View attachment 3788653View attachment 3788654
What breed is he?
Does he have access to a pool/pond and does he use it? Do you see him preening? Anyone picking on him?
Any sign of mites/parasites? How is his appetite?
I'm not experienced with older ducks, so I'm just thinking of possible causes.

What breed is he?
Does he have access to a pool/pond and does he use it? Do you see him preening? Anyone picking on him?
Any sign of mites/parasites? How is his appetite?
I'm not experienced with older ducks, so I'm just thinking of possible causes.
He is Ancona. Yes, pool and yes, he's a very preening boy. I did see another drake bullying him yesterday when I separated him and saw the rest of his body. I did not see any mites crawling. He is happily eating. We put him in a separate pen for now.

We have 5 drakes, and 20+ females. They free range over a large area and typically stay in their little chosen groups. This guy and 3 old ladies pal around throughout the day.
And he hasn't been picked on by the other drakes? Just trying to rule things out.
When did he molt last? Is he good about getting into water to bathe.

And he hasn't been picked on by the other drakes? Just trying to rule things out.
When did he molt last? Is he good about getting into water to bathe.
I don't think so, other than the tiff that led me to see the fatherless-Ness. He's always been a very strong hold his own type drake, but at 9, I'm sure he's faltering. He melted in the fall and was back to full plumage throughout the winter. He loves baths, always the first in to make himself pretty.

You might try some Ivermectin pour on even if you can’t see parasites doesn’t mean there aren’t any. I use it on my chicken every 3 months just to make sure they don’t pick any up. I use it like I do my dogs on the neck. Maybe add more protein to his diet. Mine get dry dog food and meal worms. Hopefully others will also have some advise.

Back
Top Bottom