Old English Bantams Color advice!!

hhill1970

Songster
9 Years
Sep 8, 2013
I'm wanting to purchase some OEB's. Does anyone know what colors are a MUST HAVE in order to produce the different colors they come in?
Any good books you reccomend on OEB's? Color genetics, etc.
Thanks!
Heather

It sounds like you want to cross different colors to get other standard colors. I would say that the must-have color is Black Breasted Red, because that color can be crossed with many other colors to produce other standard colors. There is a book called Baldwin’s American Breed Book of Old English and Modern Game Bantams that has a lot of great information about breeding many different colors Old English Game Bantams and crossing colors.

Yes! Thanks, that's exactly the information that I need! They come in so many beautiful patterns and colors. I have the coops and the acreage, just don't want to go broke buying some colors that are easily bred through basic colors and patterns!
Any other must haves that you can think of?? I was starting to get an order together, and there are so many colors! This is what they offer: ~Barred, ~Birchen, *BBR, ~Black, *Black Tailed White, *Blue, *Blue Golden Duckwing, *Blue Mille Fleur, *Blue Red, *Blue tailed buff, *blue wheaten, *Brown Red, *Buff laced, *Cream buttercup, *Crele, *Fawn Silver Duckwing, ~Golden Campine pattern, *golden Duckwing, ~Golden Neck, *Lemon blue, *Mille Fleur, ~Mottled, *Pearl, *Porcelain, ~Red, *Red Pyle, *Red Quill, *Self blue, *Silver Blue, *Silver Campine pattern, *Silver Duckwing, *Splash, and *Wheaten.
The ones I Love are marked with an asterisk *; not sure ~
Soooo....you can see WHY I need advice! LOL
Thanks so much for your help and time!!

I think blue would be a good color to have. You can cross black breasted red over blue to get blue reds and lemon blues. I believe you can also cross blue with some of those other colors to get a blue version of that color.
If you cross black breasted red with silver duckwing, you can get golden duckwing.
I am not a genetics expert, so hopefully someone who is will reply to this thread.

You should keep in mind that breeding your bantams will cost you time and money, and the birds you produce might not be as well colored as the ones the hatchery has. A lot of the colors you listed can’t be easily obtained from crossing other colors.

You should also know that hatchery bantams are bred for quantity rather than quality, and you won’t get ‘show quality’ birds from a hatchery. Of course, hatchery birds are fine if you just want them as pets.

I think blue would be a good color to have. You can cross black breasted red over blue to get blue reds and lemon blues. I believe you can also cross blue with some of those other colors to get a blue version of that color.
If you cross black breasted red with silver duckwing, you can get golden duckwing.
I am not a genetics expert, so hopefully someone who is will reply to this thread.

You should keep in mind that breeding your bantams will cost you time and money, and the birds you produce might not be as well colored as the ones the hatchery has. A lot of the colors you listed can’t be easily obtained from crossing other colors.

You should also know that hatchery bantams are bred for quantity rather than quality, and you won’t get ‘show quality’ birds from a hatchery. Of course, hatchery birds are fine if you just want them as pets.
Thanks so much for your help! Do you know which colors are hardest to obtain though breeding? I've tried to get a copy of the book recommended by the other person who kindly responded. Amazon had 1 copy, but it said that it was a pamphlet?? 🤔 So, the search continues!
I kind of figured if I get birds that are a color variation of a color that I would like to obtain, in a variant from more "basic " colors and the various patterns, it wouldbe a good start. I can then find a color genetics book that will enable me to learn what colors, when introduced, will either give me the color that I am looking to obtain. Ie. Like the Blue Breasted Red, produced by BBR × Blue. I just need the further information as to whether it's a Blue cock over BBR hen or vice versa. Thus, my need for a good OEB color genetics book, and a TRUSTED mentor would be awesome! Nothing better than a person who has Years, or Decades of actual experience teaching you, or there for you when you have a question about certain bloodlines or color breeding!!
I want some as pets, and I am purchasing these from a hatchery, as I can't locate a breeder! I would LOVE to purchase some from an actual breeder who successfully shows their birds and is passionate about the breed than a hatchery.
So, I'm open to any breeder who would be interested in selling a few potential show chicks to someone starting out! I'm in CT.
I have a good knowledge of color genetics in various other animals that I've shown and bred- Shih Tzu, Labradors, horses, etc. But, I have loved, and had chickens for for well over 45 years. We have a lot of 4-H'ers in my area, and, of course, Bantams are essential for Showmanship class. I'd love to provide some quality show birds for them to have as project animals! *I found out the hard way, when my Daughter showed in her 1st Poultry Showmanship class at the County Fair. (As a VERY small 9 year old, holding out her Black Sex Link, Henny Penny!) 😂😳 poor kid!!! ROFL I give her credit though, as she held that hen out the entire time!!! 😊
I eventually would like to show at local State Fairs to start off with, and go from there... But, it's easier to start with a higher quality animal, and then work from there to improve your breeding program, then to start with a lower quality animal!!

I'm wanting to purchase some OEB's. Does anyone know what colors are a MUST HAVE in order to produce the different colors they come in?
Any good books you reccomend on OEB's? Color genetics, etc.
Thanks!
Heather
Depends on what you’re looking for, the Wheaton carries the spangled gene and also carries the red/white gene similar to what is called the red Pyle of you breed two blues you get 50% blue 25% black 25% splash there are just so many different ways to go with the OEG best advice I can give you. It’s just throw together the colors you want to breed play around with it and have fun

Back
Top Bottom